This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does your phone stay connected to the 830 / 530 ?

Former Member
Former Member

Like the title says...this is why I ditched my previous Edge.  Has anyone with previous 1030 issues had better luck with the 830 or 530?  I really want to keep using my varia vision and radar but this is a huge deciding factor before laying down the cash.

• Mine didn’t stay connected today but it was my first ride!!

• Mine stayed connected most of the time, but did drop a few times.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

So far that's 0/2 staying connected. Fabulous. I'm interested if anyone has to go through the pairing process randomly within a week.  Also was it brief reconnects or did it stay disconnected for minutes at a time?  Did you have Garmin connect loaded before locking your phone? They said to do that with the 1030 altho I never had to with any other Garmin device.

• I have massive issues with Edge 1030. It just never connects no matter how I connect it via GCM. I tried everything.... :-( This is also why I'm getting the 830. I can't take 1030 anymore...

I also have the 945. The funny part is; I have yet to experience any issues here. It just works - everytime! Live track, upload everything...! 

I most certainly hope 830 is alike. If not - Wahoo it is... 

• I'm coming from an 820 to a 530.   I've had no issues pairing my iPhone to either of them.  I have text and call notifications turned on and I was getting notified on the unit tonight when texts were coming to my phone.   Every so often it doesn't connect and I've had to go into the bluetooth page and get it to connect but that is doesn't happen often.   I have one of the first units and my buttons work as well!

Why do you need your phone to connect to use Varia vision or radar?  Don't those connect over Ant+ directly to the head unit?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to headstart

What I meant was that I don't want to lose use of the varia vision/radar by leaving Garmin and going to Wahoo if Garmin hasn't sorted out the Phone issues that never got fixed on the 1030.  I got rid of mine after endless disconnects and pairing issues.  

When you mention that sometimes it doesn't connect, it sounds like you're not talking about any issues mid-ride, but more like when you start up the device?  Are you just opening up the mobile app and hitting connect?  (Not having to go through the full pairing process)? 

• Never had a 1030 but used my new 830 today on a long ride and had 100% connectivity. Also I had no issues with my sensors (Bontrager Duotrap and DI2)

• With my 530, I experience phone drops, reboots, loss of connectivity to GPS, and ANT+ sensors when it is connected to my iPhone X.

I think the solution my be to disable Bluetooth until Garmin resolves.

Both your Vision and Radar connect via ANT+

• I didn't until the latest update to Garmin Connect. Now it's been connecting and staying connected.

• I had no problems, then a few problems, then back to no problems. Out of the box it worked great. Then, I had issues with it pairing and staying connected to my phone. So, I basically re-paired it from scratch (removed all instances), shut it off ON the unit itself (in connected features->phone), etc, etc.

Last 8 rides have been issue-free. I'm on an iPhone 8 FWIW.