This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 sensor dropouts since installing 8.0 firmware

After installing the new 8.0 software/firmware on my Edge 530, I'm getting repeated sensor loss and then Found messages (about every 5-15 second) while on a ride.

It's only the connection to my SRAM eTap that's having this issue and it wasn't occurring with the 7.10 version.

There's no battery warning from the eTap and they (front and rear derailleur) are shifting just fine.

Other ANT+ devices are all Garmin and no dropouts seems to be occurring for any of them: Remote, HR, Vector Power Meter Pedals.

I'm going to try removing the device and rediscover it as well as fully charge the eTap batteries to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone experience anything similar with the new 8.0 version?

• There is a new beta out from today...

• Well that's encouraging...

Thanks 

• Hate to be the party pooper, but this morning's eMTB ride resulted in at least 1 bike sensor drop I noticed right in front my eyes where I saw the garmin reestablishing connection to the power sensor on the bikes.

• Wonder if this is a combination of both firmware and hardware revisions? I got two chest straps, two power meters and a smart trainer and have never seen a single reconnect... The only thing I've "lost" and reconnected to right away was my iPhone, and that has happened only once (while using live track)

• I really can't tell...

There have been more than a handful confirmations of this reconnections to sensors.

Even Garmin admitted in that and tried to fix it, meaning there is something here...

• I think so. There are so many variables in fact…. How many sensors connected (plus which software versions they are running), what phone connected (plus phone software version), how stable each of those connections are, what radio interference there is locally, probably some weird race conditions (software engineering race conditions, not cycling ones!) around the order sensors established their connections, what the Edge device is doing, what custom data fields are in use etc etc… Makes it incredibly hard to test. Having said that, since updating to the latest beta two days ago, zero dropouts for me in around 8 hrs of riding, and before I was getting multiple drop outs per ride

• Today out of nowhere: reboot Disappointed

I mentioned happening this because the distance to my next turn wasn't decreasing. (Does the edge even has problems with "internal" sensors like GPS??)

Connected: Garmin watch (HR) and a Magene cadence sensor. These sensor devices did not have any problem before v8.x.

• A question, I have not previously been plagued by these sensor lost / found problems, maybe an infrequent one or two in longer rides especially with the indoor trainer (Tacx Flow) but yesterday was my first indoor trainer ride with the v8.63 beta and I was getting sensor found every 10-15 seconds constantly during the ride, dozens+ but I did not see any "lost" message, is this how it works, only "founds" . The recorded data looks mostly ok with regard to gaps (just two) but the speed (up a constant 5-6% grade for 3kms) looks way impossible (for me unless I have suddenly turned pro), thanks

• Yes, that’s the symptom, the “loss” is the backlight coming on or a momentary pause, then the found message occurs, at least that is what I was seeing.

• I'm on the new FW from a few days ago and am still getting sensor dropouts. Mainly HRM but also PM. This mornings ride was just over 90 mins and reckoned i had at least 8 of them.

A pal of mine asked for advice on head units today and i couldn't recommend the 530 because of such instability (and also navigation bugs). Most others in the group recommended wahoo for stability, having previously had garmin units.

MB