This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 sensor dropouts since installing 8.0 firmware

After installing the new 8.0 software/firmware on my Edge 530, I'm getting repeated sensor loss and then Found messages (about every 5-15 second) while on a ride.

It's only the connection to my SRAM eTap that's having this issue and it wasn't occurring with the 7.10 version.

There's no battery warning from the eTap and they (front and rear derailleur) are shifting just fine.

Other ANT+ devices are all Garmin and no dropouts seems to be occurring for any of them: Remote, HR, Vector Power Meter Pedals.

I'm going to try removing the device and rediscover it as well as fully charge the eTap batteries to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone experience anything similar with the new 8.0 version?

• Jeeez, I switched to wahoo a couple months ago and I was wondering about that issue and thought to look into that forum to see what is happening with this. That was my main reason to abandon garmin’s ecosystem.

I see that garmin didn’t do anything with that. 

Bad very bad. Cheers and good luck.

• I see that this thread is 5 months old. Connecting sensors is a pretty basic function and this still isn't stable. I'm not sure when i'll change my unit but i'm pretty sure it won't be to another garmin, despite the 25% off through vitality. If HH K2 had a workout folder i would have bought one already. Will take a closer look at wahoo bolt and roam.

Fortunately i've kept the box and packaging so hopefully should be able to sell this 530 unit.

MB

• This is an issue that is still being worked on and I can only apologized for not having more information to provide at the moment. I know that frequently updating threads that we are working on it only causes more frustration for some, but this is active and a high priority. 

The latest update has improvements for some situations regarding connectivity, but we realize there are still general stability issues with multiple types of sensors that we are working to resolve. 

• I'm trying to analyse CdA (coeffient of Drag Area) numbers from 3rd party Aeropod, I have tried using 2 different speed sensors and enabling them on/off, Giant speed/cadence & Garmin speed sensor 1, its frustrating to watch the wheel circumference change as your riding, I thought it was calibrated in the first 1600m of the ride on the auto setting, so whilst riding looking at speed sensor details the circumference is changing every so often, I have had measure the circumference manually with a tape and set that value.  Previously I have read blaming the sensors with low voltage batteries, MAYBE its low power provided to head unit listening(opposite end) to the sensors   ???? and you could have a setting for high priority sensor tracking as some of us more interested in quality of data and not the edge lasting 16hours

• 7.1 does not have these issues. I am not a software engineer but one would think the tools exist to compare the 7.1 to 8.0 code base and see what changes were introduced.

• who has a copy of the 7.10 firmware please, I have no confidence Garmin can correct this, dropouts frequently occur with Di2, Duotrap S, HRM-Dual

• On my Windows 10 PC the 7.10 FW is buried deep in the Garmin data still, here (yours might vary but just follow the directory tree down.....)

"C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\PrimaryFirmware\PrimaryFirmware_PrimaryFirmware.006-B3121-00.7.10\gsup\006-B3121-00\7.10\full\rel\......" the last directory contains the 7.10  GUPDATE.GDC file (26,596kb)

PS I guess it will only be there if you updated via Garmin Connect / Express on the PC rather than via Connect Mobile on your phone

• I just bought the 530 a week ago so I could retire the 520. I’m getting PM dropouts today too while climbing a 5 % grade with 530 and latest firmware.  It’s weird looking down at the 530 while on a 5% grade and seeing a big fat zero for power.  My mind is slightly blown. Yesterday, the garmin speed sensor dropped out while I was stopped waiting 3-4 minutes for heavy traffic.  Autopause always works great on 520   I’m going to reset the thing and reconnect all of the sensors…although I’m not optimistic.