This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 sensor dropouts since installing 8.0 firmware

After installing the new 8.0 software/firmware on my Edge 530, I'm getting repeated sensor loss and then Found messages (about every 5-15 second) while on a ride.

It's only the connection to my SRAM eTap that's having this issue and it wasn't occurring with the 7.10 version.

There's no battery warning from the eTap and they (front and rear derailleur) are shifting just fine.

Other ANT+ devices are all Garmin and no dropouts seems to be occurring for any of them: Remote, HR, Vector Power Meter Pedals.

I'm going to try removing the device and rediscover it as well as fully charge the eTap batteries to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone experience anything similar with the new 8.0 version?

• who has a copy of the 7.10 firmware please, I have no confidence Garmin can correct this, dropouts frequently occur with Di2, Duotrap S, HRM-Dual

• On my Windows 10 PC the 7.10 FW is buried deep in the Garmin data still, here (yours might vary but just follow the directory tree down.....)

"C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\PrimaryFirmware\PrimaryFirmware_PrimaryFirmware.006-B3121-00.7.10\gsup\006-B3121-00\7.10\full\rel\......" the last directory contains the 7.10  GUPDATE.GDC file (26,596kb)

PS I guess it will only be there if you updated via Garmin Connect / Express on the PC rather than via Connect Mobile on your phone

• I just bought the 530 a week ago so I could retire the 520. I’m getting PM dropouts today too while climbing a 5 % grade with 530 and latest firmware.  It’s weird looking down at the 530 while on a 5% grade and seeing a big fat zero for power.  My mind is slightly blown. Yesterday, the garmin speed sensor dropped out while I was stopped waiting 3-4 minutes for heavy traffic.  Autopause always works great on 520   I’m going to reset the thing and reconnect all of the sensors…although I’m not optimistic.  

• Dear @Garmin-Blake I have the same issue that I saw in many threads, and it's very, very frustrating, here an example: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7941183017

Before, I only had problems with the speed sensor, today both cadence and heart rate too. I've started to do cycling four months ago, and my first bike computer was Garmin 530, I have to go to Strava to correct distance, but while I ride I don't have any useful data in my computer. I hope sincerely to resolve this soon. It has been a great disappointment.

• i couldn't agree more. The issue has been live for 6 months. Bearing in mind the importance of sensors over other features, i'm amazed that that they simply didn't roll back the FW to the version where this wasn't happening, whilst they worked on the latest FW. I'm resolved to buy a wahoo in the new year like many of my friends have done after garmin frustration. I know that no unit is bullet proof, but i'm really bored of basic bugs in devices that cost £200+

MB

• Cesar you can go into the speed sensor(or speed/cadence) and go to wheel circumference and set it to manual, you will need to measure it, for 700c x 23 tires its around 2090mm, I manually measure by riding the bike 2-3 wheel turns with a tiny drop of dishwashing liquid on the tire.

• Thanks for your advice, the measure was set to manual with the correct size and I set recording interval to 1 sec, that is not the problem, the problem is when I'm riding in certain moment the speed is zero or a fraction of the real speed, then the distance calculated each second is zero or a fraction of the real. I can say this because
    1. I've downloaded the activity .fit file,
    2. I've opened it with a viewer, and downloaded again in .csv file format,
    3. reopen with excel, and
    4. I've calculated the real distance with differences between the long and latitude for records of the GPS data and the unique error was in the records where the speed is incorrect, for example: in the points where the speed is zero the distance was zero too.

I think, for certain situation the speed sensor can't send correct values to the computer or the computer can't process and save correct values in .fit files. Well I'm still waiting for response of Garmin.

I was thinking to do a downgrade to an old firmware and Maybe discard if is a problem of sensor or of the computer.

• Smart Recording is about data storage of files, like zipping or Mp3 its about reducing the data in the fit file without compromising it overall, as records are removed and averaged between points, an anomaly what people notice on strava are a lot segments are not getting recognised as you must have a GPS point near by start & end of Segment.