This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is my Edge getting confused when navigating a route?? See pics

I'm having a lot of problems navigating with my Garmin Edge 530, since I purchased the unit about 6 months ago.  I'm in Australia, and i have an Australian-delivered unit.  I had another terrible experience on the weekend and decided to try to figure out what was going wrong.

Here is a picture of the Edge 530 when I'm approaching a roundabout. The gpx route is to turn to the right. 

The roundabout icon on the top left of screen shows the exit in the correct direction, but it is suggesting i ride around the right side of the roundabout (wrong for Australia). 

The 3rd exit is correct for riding around the left side of the roundabout. And the name of the road to follow is correct.  So the top right of the screen works.

The arrow on the map says to turn left which is completely wrong.  I followed the arrow, and shortly after the unit told me i was off course. The map does not look anything like the OSM open street map on which the Garmin map is based.

(also not sure why i have 2 different distance markers, the lower one 98m is correct)

OSM shows the correct Australian navigation around the roundabout. - openstreetmap.org

I'm about 100m from the roundabout.

Here is a second example.  The route per the gpx is the right hand turn.  See description with each picture below.  Can anyone explain what is happening with my unit?  I would be very grateful, thanks.

The OSM direction around the roundabout is correct for Australia

The roundabout icon at the top left of the Edge 530 is indicating the wrong direction this time.  It also says to go around the right hand side of the roundabout, also wrong. 

At the top right it says to take the 3rd exit, which is correct for going the correct way around the left side of the roundabout.  The street name to exit on is also correct out of the 4 uniquely named streets!  So the top right of the screen works again. 

The Edge 530 map again does not look like the OSM map.  You can see there are not any streets on the Edge 530 map approaching from the north, as indicated by the north pointer on the screen.  But as you can see from the OSM map the approach is almost directly from the north (page orientation).

The distance of 70m is wrong and 12m is correct.

So I am at a loss as to how to solve this. Based on these two examples I feel that

• the top left roundabout icon has some form of American configuration,
  • the top right of the Nav screen works for Australia as intended,
  • the map shown is not related to the intersection being approached, and
  • the arrow direction on the map is getting confused by the mix of configurations. 

I've contacted the retailer, and I think I'll take the bike out again on a planned route to confirm these theories.

• JoyJoyJoy i wonder if it was easier to remove roundabouts than to zoom out the turn by turn pop-ups JoyJoyJoy

When you want to turn right, surely it's less confusing if it just tells you to turn right, than if it tells you to turn left because the roundabout starts going left (for the first 5 metres).  What's a roundabout these days anyway??

• eh?? i don't think that would work in real life cycling among traffic. 

If you like that then get a Magellan Cyclo 505 - that' what it does - it's instructions for roundabout is exactly that - it will try to navigate you out of the roundabout - go into roundabout turn right turn right, then take left turn now !!!!

Garmin's instructions are 1,000x clearer:  take the  2nd Exit. So approaching the roundabout you just count the exits.

Although lately i'm also having roundabout issues - they don't come up as roundabouts and today the icon was for me to take the 6 o'clock exit even though the TBT said 2nd exit. The 6 o'clock exit would have been me completing the entire roundabout and exiting where i entered.

• When it says take the third exit, and the little icon in the top left says to enter the roundabout via the right hand side of the road and swing around the top of the roundabout before exiting to the left... and you’re in Australia... what do you do?

i returned it

• Just use better maps. It fixes the problem for free. You don't have to use the Garmin maps. 

• Roundabout Icon by Locus map gpx track navigate.

• How does that work, is that a screenshot from a Garmin device with Locus map installed?

• No - it's a mobile phone app. Found it here: https://www.locusmap.eu/

Since my latest fiasco with the 530 where it dumped my so far away from my planned route - i'm thinking of setting up the mobile as a backup GPS. Will need to prepare a mobile mount on the bike.

• Phone app correct.

• Garmin units understand roundabouts perfectly well and they can route correctly around them whatever side of the road you drive on.  BUT for this to happen they have to be properly marked as roundabouts in the map.  The problem here is Garmin are not correctly marking the roundabouts in their own maps for some reason..  If you use third party maps that have roundabouts marked properly there is no issue at all.

• The latest firmware update log for the 530 includes the comment "Fixed an issue with OSM roundabouts giving incorrect guidance"

Does anyone with knowledge on the turn-by-turn pop-up excessive zoom issue know if the firmware update has fixed this?  Thanks.