This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation chart and grade display completely wrong on 530 with v 3.50.0.0

My 530 was displaying grade during the ride accurately and had accurate elevation charts in Garmin connect after the ride.  That all changed last week.  The grade seems totally random. For example, today it indicated -7% during a steep climb.

In addition, the elevation chart displayed after a ride is completely wrong.

This is what it showed on my ride today before I applied elevation correction.

Here's the same ride after elevation correction was applied.

As you can see, they are completely different.

I don't know if this issue started when 3.50 was applied.  Anyone else having this problem?  

• Hey Dred.D

my 530 which was showing this behaviour has been replaced by Garmin because of jamming buttons. My current device, which is also a 530 does not have this problem. So I think that a different device of the same type could possibly be a solution. I dont know about the 830, it might be that more units are affected in the 830 series than in 530, and that is why you have caught two in a row? 

We have been contacted for a beta test with SW version 4.22 and to send in our logs to Garmin if we bump into the issue again. I used the software for a few weeks on my commute, but the new device did not reproduce the issue. 

THIS IS OFF TOPIC. REGARDING YOUR QUESTION ABOUT OTHER MANUFACTURERS:

I have had watches before from different manufacturers like Polar and Suunto as well. Although there was no major problems with them, they also had their quirks and annoying bugs. For example the Polar V650 was quite a quriky device. In the end I could not establish a connection neither to my phone nor to my PC. On these platforms there were by far not this many SW updates as with Garmin (neither bugs fixes nor new features). And also, no community, or forums like these. We, who are on this forum are all either annoyed with our Gramin because of one or the other reason or are more advanced users generally interested in what's new and what's happening. But at least there are these forums where we can give each other tipps and hints. I guess people who are not "power users" and generally satisfied don't even know that there are forums like this. 

So, for me it's not only about the device, but the whole ecosystem that each manufacturer is offering. In general I am satisfied with Garmin. In particular with these forums, and the customer support. I have had two devices replaced and got a spare part free of charge. This is not a paid promotion Slight smile

I in particular find it a good thing to introduce changes from time to time and try new things. So in your case I would ask myself if the bugs I am having on my device annoying me that much that I can't live with them, or does somethig else promise me more value? If yes, move on. One shall only be aware, that new does not always mean better.

• ,did you guys get any logs from the 4.22 beta with which Garmin could go on regarding this bug? I seem to recall, that 4.19 introduced the pressure filter, which ought to have resolved the issue, but it seems like users are still experiencing the same phenomenon.

Can you please let us know if this bug is still being worked on? 

• Hello,

Thanks for inputs.

I, finally, order a third unit witch has arrived today...let's give an other (last?) Chance to Garmin 830... i don't find equivalent product that can satify me.

I'm not sure to undestand everything, please excuse my english... the two previous unit i ordered and owned have uploaded, by themself, the 5.0 sw during there first start-up. can i do differently? do i have to do differently (to upload 4.2.2 instead of 5.0?)? Do the 5.0 sw not as good as the 4.2.2?

The third one i received today is load with the 3.5sw..

• Had just uploaded the 5.1 sw by himself when i was sending the previous reply...2 min ago..

• 5.1 is okay. 4.22 was not a "good" software. It only allowed us to send logs to Garmin.

• Ok, good to hear.

I don't know when i could try this new 830, perhaps during the week-end. But, if i have the same issue, is anybody know if it's possible to "switch off" the barometric sensor to use the unit as a "classic" GPS? Is it possible by connecting it to computer and accessing to the different folders and configuration files.

• Garmin 530 Firmware v5.1 same issues

• I’m experiencing the same problems here. Edge 530

with V5.10

• Ive had issues with both my Edge 530 and fenix 6 pro being off on the elevation now. I live at 170msl ish, but sometimes these devices shows too low altitude, and the error remains for the whole activity even though the horizontal position is spot on. These screenshots are from the same trip where the edge 530 is very wrong while the fenix 6 is correct. But ive also had the oposite. It seems lik there is a bug where the original offset remains throughout the activity on multiple devices. Damn annoyingTired face

• That's a non-calibrated barometric sensor. Normal behaviour if the device has no time to calibrate against GPS before starting an activity. You can store your normal starting point as a waypoint with correct elevation and it will set the barometric height when you start at that postition.