This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation chart and grade display completely wrong on 530 with v 3.50.0.0

My 530 was displaying grade during the ride accurately and had accurate elevation charts in Garmin connect after the ride.  That all changed last week.  The grade seems totally random. For example, today it indicated -7% during a steep climb.

In addition, the elevation chart displayed after a ride is completely wrong.

This is what it showed on my ride today before I applied elevation correction.

Here's the same ride after elevation correction was applied.

As you can see, they are completely different.

I don't know if this issue started when 3.50 was applied.  Anyone else having this problem?  

• I have had my 530 exchanged by Garmin because of jamming buttons. In the meantime Garmin has reached out to me with a beta FW 4.22 which will help them assess what is happening on my device when I send back the logs. Since I got my new unit, I have done a dozen rides, but the graphs seem to be okay.
    I will reply to Garmin and ask them to forward the logging Beta FW to others as well, as it seems by Baro is working okay ATM (fingers crossed)

• Hi there,

Any news about your garmin issues? Did you get them back to garmin, did you find a solution?

I Just bought 2 garmin edge 830 in 2 month, both had the same issue as yours, the first one i received was in 4.10 and updated automaticaly in 5.0 before i use it, the second arrived in 3.5 and updated to 5.0 before i use it. Both were giving improbable elevation, confirmed by the Garmin connect correction, strava prediction and "simple paper map".... both have been taken in guaranty but......I like this edge 830...i suppose it's not the best place to ask this, but... do you think it's possible to get a edge 830 who's working well... with correct elevation.... i can't decide at this time if i try again with a third one or if i must have a look to the concurrence? Please help me decide, give some news of your issues and possible solutions...

• Hello hcrohland,

What are talking about by "auto-suspend", is it the the "auto-pause"?

Is it still OK for you, is it THE solution to elevation issues?

Thanks for your help..

• Alors le Breton, j'ai mon 2ème 830 en raison de problèmes d'altitude et "son far so good " Pour moi c'est quand même le meilleur. Connectez-vous sur Strava que j'ai de la famille en Bretagne alors peut-être que nous montons la prochaine fois que je visite. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/3118625

https://m.facebook.com/groups/242889109237692?ref=bookmarks

• I gave up a long time ago. I was fed up with all the issues. I returned the Garmin and purchased a Wahoo Element. 

it’s been a joy to use a device that just works as it’s supposed to.

• Hi Dred.D,

With auto-suspend - and not using suspend during activities - the problem went away for me. Elevation recording so far were pretty accurate.

auto-suspend is different to auto-pause. My problem was happening when having large elevation changes just before the device came out of suspend mode. When using lifts I always stop recording. Then the device was going into suspend mode automatically. When starting at the top it would get confused completely about elevation. Letting the device run all the time - even with stopped recording in the lift - enables the device to track elevation continuously. And that solved it for me.

• Thanks for your reply and your help. Unfortunatly, i didn't use the auto-suspend on my both edge... it seems that these issues are very random...nice to read you, regards.

• Hello jakp,

Thanks for your reply, i can understand your pleasure, i'm very frustrate with all these issue...purhaps i will move to the concurrence too, seems very hard to get a correct 830...

• Hello willdeath,

nice to read you, you give me a little hope to get a correct 830 despite these issues seems to be very random...

I was born and passed half of my life in Britany , i now live in Normandy since 20 years, sometimes come back in Britany for hollidays, i will check your strava..thanks a lot, regards