This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No TyreWiz support?

So I still have to use my old Garmin for TyreWiz data?

• Yes, if everyone could email the mysterious alanf, that would be good.

• Not a surprise since SRAM own Hammerhead. 

• TyreWiz support was supposedly added io Karoo2 in the latest June update (was a longstanding feature request), so I'm not sure there's already a lof of feedback about how well or how bad it works...

By the way, my main gripe with the TyreWiz is mainly how badly SRAM themselves manage them in the AXS app... On Android, I can only add new tyreWiz to a bike with SRAM AXS app version 2.0.10 or lower, which is a few months old. As soon as I upgrade to one of the latest versions (2.0.14 being current), my recently added TyreWiz valves disappear from the bike and I can't add them (app crashes after I need to assign front or rear to the valve, and all changes are lost). These same valves work flawlessly with my Edge 830 and the connect iq app though Smiley

• It is hard to believe I am saying this, but my old 830 is the superior product vs the new 1040. I am shocked that Garmin isn't pushing daily firmware updates to fix all these problems quickly. 

• I'm still using my 1030 Plus too.  SRAM told me they're having problems with the CIQ 4.1 TyreWiz app and the sensors won't connect reliably.  There's another thread here talking about if you add CIQ data field right now, it causes instability with other ANT+ sensors.  It appears CIQ is completely busted on the 1040 at the moment.

• TyreWiz support seemed to work really well on the Wahoo units.  They just show up like a normal sensor.  Why can't Garmin do this?

• Because Garmin is good in supporting Standards and not willing to use another protocol for every sensor somebody develops. If SKS (they call their sensor Airspy) and Tyrewiz would write a standard, I think they would support it. Tyrewiz is not important enough to do the work like for DI2.
    it’s the same with the Core Sensor, also only via ConnectIQ (but this developer is really fast, had some interactions with him, both thumbs up). 
    It’s easy for Garmin to say: just do your own data field for your niche product. 
    Wahoo can’t other that so they implement a lot of unique protocols to support this. It’s not only about implementing it once, but you also have to take care of it. 

BTW, Garmin Tempe sensors seems to be also a niche for the Cycling unit whereas it’s supported at the outdoor section. 

• I wouldn't really call Garmin good at supporting standards.  Things that are Ant+ are by definition a standard.  The Tempe is the Ant+ Environment sensor, not supported, Muscle oxygen, not supported.  Core is standard:
    https://corebodytemp.com/pages/core-developer-notes
    (the ant+ is still in beta but the BLE is released)
    Does the new rear camera radar support the ant+ video control ant+ standard?  No

TyreWiz is ant+:
    https://www.thisisant.com/directory/tyrewiz
    Along with SKS:
    www.sks-germany.com/.../
    Garmin supports TPMS data over ant+ for motocycles:
    www.garmin.com/.../131744

• You mix up the technology wich is used to send the data and the data being standardized. 
    If we both meet and talk to each other, we both use our vocal chords (this is ANT+) and speak English (we transfer the data in a format both devices are capable of). The language would be the same like a ANT+ Profile wich are open standards. 
    If my 1 year old daughter joins our conversation, she would use the same technology to send data to us but we would not be able to use the information. That is what Core, SKS, Tyrewiz and Garmin for their TPMS sensors are doing. 

Tempe is another problem I can’t understand why they do it this way. The same like using airport weather in the Edge devices as a weather source and a much better resolution source for the watches. A lot of internal communication is not happening at Garmin ant a lot of thinks are based on decisions when technology was limited far more („smart“ recording as a default instead of 1s for example).