This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

any insight on maybe a new 1040 or whatever release date?

Anybody know anything on when a new Flagship Edge is coming out?

• Quote out of context all you like.

That was in response to another user whom had already written they were ready to jump ship and buy a non-Garmin product. I offered a solution to stop that happening, and threw in the cheap Android option to pre-empt the $1000 iPhone comments.

Completely honest here.

On particularly rough rides I've gone with a free Android on the bars and an iPhone in my pocket.

• €600 for a Garmin? Another dishonest liar on this forum... The Garmin Edge 530 is at... 210€ in France and it's one of the most popular models in the range.

And then comparing a Garmin Edge to a Casio from the 90s...seriously...you're pathetic, it discredits your whole point.

The Edge undoubtedly has areas for improvement compared to Wahoo, in terms of ergonomics, but it remains the best. If Garmin does not change the ergonomics of the system it is because it works with its strengths and weaknesses. So yes I would like to be able to zoom in on the data fields like on the Wahoo, but it is far from essential.

My Garmin has never failed me, it takes the worst, and whether in winter at -5°C or in summer at 40°C in full sun, it has always been on top. No smartphone would survive this, I'm sorry but it's a fact that many will have been able to verify here.

• I'm looking at a 36C 7hr ride on Strava. My phone didn't overheat.

I'm looking at another in the snow below 0C.

This is a 1030 thread, and yes, the list price is €599. If you want to use street prices, I only paid $299 for my iPhone 12.

• The successor to the 1030 plus will be the 1040 (this is the thread)
    The successor to the 530 will be the 540 (I'll say what I think in its respective thread). Equipment with a small screen and no touch screen (for me without a touch screen to navigate a track, zoom, etc.. unfeasible)

The calculation power, processor and memory of a Garmin compared to a current smartphone, it's like comparing a Spectrum with a PS5 (I know, the Spectrum ZX had great things... in the 90s...)

When the 1040 comes out, we'll see if it costs over €200 in France, what screen it will have, how it will recalculate tracks, screen resolution, how it will look on cloudy days or inside a forest...

That someone of his opinion and seems "pathetic" to you says it all. Unless you work at Garmin and they force you to say that the price of your products is justified.

• I don't mean to be rude, but is there any way you guys can stop arguing about this already? Normally I wouldn't care in a forum. I can just scroll past all the bickering and pointless personal attacks. The problem is, I am subscribed to this thread, and my email box is now getting SPAMMED up with whatever the hell you two are arguing about being and not being a hardcore cyclist. Is there any way you guys would be willing to take this to private message or something? If not, I will have to unsubscribe to this thread.

• I dont think  you are being rude at all.  Thank you for showing common sense. A person in this forum suggested I use my smart phone and quad lock with a couple apps.  It works ridiculously well.  Its a samsung s20 5g.  I also have a pedalcell unit that I can charge it with. I unfortunately also have a 130 plus that I downgraded to from a 1030. I did this on the advice of garmin as they said it would work with the rally dual pedals.  It only partially works as it does not provide all the metrics.  When I ride locally with a crank based power meter the 130 plus does just fine.  When I ride with the rally's I use the smartphone and my 945.  It all works.  Pick your poison.  These are personal decisions.  

I am thankful that I was given the advice in this thread how to fix my issue. Now I may not even get a new garmin unless I can sell the 130 plus.  

Stop being wankers and slamming eachother!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

I'm curious - Where are people getting these rumored release dates?  I see a few posts in reddit but they tend to die off with no details.  I've had the 1000, 1030, and 830.  They're great for tracking rides but the navigation on each one has been horrendous, especially for mixed surface and off-road.  I could go into the whole bucket of issues that remain today, up to the constant (do a U-turn) warnings on trails but this isn't the thread for it.  Essentially it's no good for navigating trails, weather it be OSM or Trailforks.  It's fine if I leave the navigation functions off and just check the map though.  After seeing some videos on the new Bryton (voice commands, re-routing, etc) - it has me wondering if Garmin will ever step up their game in terms of navigation.  I've been hoping the next model steps up their game.  Hoping some details might come available here.  Slight smile   I've invested into the Rally XC pedals and would prefer to stay with Garmin, especially for Cycling Dynamics to work through injury, but if the navigation and re-routing isn't drastically improved I'm likely going to try another brand and use OSM for trails.

• You can always display the route , why you need turn by turn on the trails, and , most of the time is the map problem, Garmin only using the layers from the map, I think that you can even edit the map on OSM 

(I am not taking the part of Garmin, as I am in the same boat)

To have better routing they need to have better procesor in order to make the rerouting faster and some changes in logic (they have made some improvement, but still more work to be done)

On wahoo forums , they complain that have different problems with TBT , so be careful what bad you choose

• 7 hours with iphone, gps tracking, routing, screen enable ? 

Lol

• Don't forget about 36 C