This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

any insight on maybe a new 1040 or whatever release date?

Anybody know anything on when a new Flagship Edge is coming out?

• Thanks for the warning. I broke my clavicle in a bike fall a previous year, and took ~18mo to recover. I hope your recovery is faster than that.

Some of the larger threats where I ride are deer running across the road. Probably sounds cute to people that are not plagued with them, but when deer start panicking, zig-zagging, and leaping to confuse predators, they lead to car driver deaths, too, not just cyclists.

• stay with your magic smartphone, no one is stopping you, but why come to the garmin forum? Am I going to the Audi forum to say cars suck?

• A wild boar is enough, but I also met a deer in the mountains on a gravel. My recovery isn't progressing much yet, I'm skeptical. But thanks.

• I come to the Garmin forum to see which Garmin devices I may buy next.

I have also suggested ways for people to cover the wait to the x40 launch with a smartphone so that they do not buy a competitor product in the interim.

I do not know if you go to the Audi forum, nor what you say there.

I do know that you came to the Garmin forum and chose to say I am not a serious cyclist, and followed up with a second post to justify it by saying I don't practice enough.

• If you use iPhone....you can use any Garmin from 20 years ago, no need to wait for newest model, they will do the same for you, record the route 

• You suggest people spend money buying a rotten smartphone and an expensive Quad Lock bracket while waiting for the release of an Edge xx40? Your reasoning is really strange, might as well wait for the xx50, the xx60 or even the xx70, right?

I'm currently using the Edge 830, before I had the 820, and it's near perfect and still a great choice. Anyone who needs a GPS can just buy a Garmin x30 or another brand like Wahoo, they will be more than satisfied.

Last year in the mountains of Annecy in France I installed my wife's Galaxy S22 on her bike with Strava to track her metrics. It was 30°C, and I can tell you that the Smartphone overheated in less than 30 minutes and she finally had to put it in her pocket... handy.

Again I'm not saying that the Smartphone is not a solution, but it will absolutely not cover all uses, heat, rain on the touch screen, mud that fits into the holes of the smartphone, the risk of falling with a $1000 device, the limited autonomy if the screen is permanently on, ... When you practice cycling seriously and you want a GPS and its measurements in front of your eyes (because it is not an obligation) well we buy a specialized GPS like Garmin or Wahoo.

• No, I'm suggesting people already have a smartphone.

iPhones are waterproof.

Apologies again that I don't meet your criteria for a serious cyclist.

My chance of falling with an iPhone on my bars is not decreased if I put an Edge on my bars.

• The €600 of a Garmin hurts me more than the €1,000 of an iPhone. Garmin is like a Casio calculator from the 90's.

It is clear that carrying a phone on the handlebar is not always feasible (Mountainbike for example). But a lot of people who bike touring don't actually need a Garmin. When I go on adventure trips, I have to pull my mobile, google maps, komoot, wikiloc, search hotels, restaurants....from the phone (not garmin)

Let's hope that Garmin evolves into a product halfway between the Casio calculator and the iPhone.

EDIT: I hope the 1040 is not a 1030 with a sunscreen, USB-C and that's it... If so, I'll go to hammerhead Karoo for sure!

• So beware someone spoofed your account and wrote:

"Search Amazon for "Prepaid phone," get an Android, and don't put a SIM card in it. The WiFi & Bluetooth will still work without a SIM, and without a SIM there's no phone signal to drain the battery, and no reason to fear it being lost or stolen.
    A good example might be the Blu View 2 for $28, or you may want a fancier $50 Motorola Moto g."

We can talk about this for a long time, you're not being honest with yourself.

The Smartphone is your survival beacon, in the event of a serious fall if you break it... you are dead ;-)