This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

any insight on maybe a new 1040 or whatever release date?

Anybody know anything on when a new Flagship Edge is coming out?

• I just bought a 1030+, but would throw it away and get a 1040 if they upgrade the display, navigation, and menus for something more up-to-date.
    If they get more of the same, putting.... 1GB more RAM, 1Mhz more CPU and the same display,....... same everything ... puffff ..... I'll end up waiting for a Hammerhead karoo 3.

• Why do you think that software would be any better? Garmin will add more meaningless “features” while the fundamentals like following a route made on your desktop will never improve.

It’s been a challenge to stay with the 1030+!

• True but I can hope. I don’t see anything out there that is better at this time. I use my about everyday and do very long 250 to 500mile off road bikepacking event/race and just hoping for something just a little better.

• The RwGPS app on a phone is rather good at navigating, including spoken directions, and tracking metrics. You lose the power dynamics, but what do you really do with those anyway?

As an app on your phone, it also weighs zero grams, a large saving against an Edge, as you likely take your phone with you anyway.

• My $.02 is - while I love RwGPS to make routes, the last thing I want is my phone hanging out in harms way and getting destroyed in another crash. 

And I actually have a power meter on one bike. 

The weight savings is meaningless.

• That's fair, depending on the relative prices of your phone and computers. A $50 Android runs RwGPS great. I may not want a $1500 Surface Duo / iPhone Pro Max / Samsung Flip on the bars.

RwGPS records power data, just not the power dynamics

• Yes I use RWGPS as back for route but phone is not the best opinion. For instance battery life 

• I think you'd be crazy to buy a new garmin model bearing in mind the amount of bugs discussed on these forums for every unit i have had, for a months after release. I think the new owners would be unpaid beta testers! Not that Wahoo and hammerhead are faultless.

MB

• I have no idea, however Winter is coming in the northern hemisphere where I would guess the vast majority of bike computers are sold. Not many will buy a new 1040 which they will hardly use for a few months. My guess would be that Garmin will now not release now until Spring 2022. This will allow them to de-stock the 1030‘s. There are also very few leaks on the net, so no one seems to know much, which is unusual if release were close.

They will also have a problem with keeping up with current technology. The 1040 is 2 years late due to the ransom-ware software problem closing the factories and the pandemic. So they will have to revamp the original concept or I for one will not be buying it. Garmin will have to come up with something special for a lot of people to upgrade.

• I think you are right about Garmin having to come up with something special. I would like for them to move to the Android platform which is far more versatile and less prone to file corruption. There's a lot of good Android programmers and perhaps porting the Garmin system over to Android might be possible.