This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Excessive displayed temperature

Even with FW 3.0 the temperature displayed on the edge 1030+ is 5 degrees celsius higher than the ambient temperature, especially when there is a lot of sun.

Same problem as the Edge 1030 3 years ago :

forums.garmin.com/.../wrong-temperature

• Hi all,

I think the best solution is to buy a Tempe sensor.

Only when riding in extreme conditions I find it interesting to see the temperature. So the temperature field is not a standard one on my main screen(s). But in the extreme events I would like to have a good estimate of the temperature, not one that is 5 degrees off.

So, just for a test, I bought a Garmin Tempe sensor for just under 25 euro including postage costs. I installed the CRTTempeField IQ datafield of crt_hun. I put both the internal temperature field and this field on my second screen and rode for 4 hours.

The national weahter institute reported a maximum temperature of 21.9 degrees Celcius in my neighbourhood.

Humidity during my ride was according to this same institute 46%.

Sunny day, ride was mainly exposed to the sun, some parts through forest.

The 1030 Plus was on the out-front mount without any cover.

The Tempe sensor was strapped to the saddle rails under the saddle.

Result:

Average: 1030P=23,9; Tempe=20,8

Minimum: 1030P=21; Tempe=19,2

Maximum: 1030P=27; Tempe=22

Graph:

(I had a P.S. with a question on how to inlcude the file, this has been answered below and I have updated this post now with the graph)

• What I have noticed is it can take the Edge 1030 Plus up to thirty minutes or more, depending on the temperature differential, for it to come near to ambient temperature after it has been indoors.

Yeah, Garmin went downmarket on the cases for the 1030 and 1030 Plus. The previous 1000 model has a small metal plate on the underside to which the temperature sensor is attached, and it responds to temperature changes a lot more quickly than the sensor on the 1030 or 1030 Plus. Same with the way the cases are put together. On the 1000 (and 800 series etc), the case is held together with Torx screws and uses a rubber gasket to waterproof the join, and it's quite easy to disassemble the unit and then put it together again to replace the battery when it will no longer retain a sufficient charge. On the 1030, you have to use a heat gun to soften the glue holding the screen in place so that you can prise it off, and getting it properly waterproof again on re-assembly is even more of a PITA.

• Has Garmin ever officially stated why they do not allow Edge devices to pair with Tempe sensors?

I have the Edge 1030 Plus on the supplied out front mount and a Tempe under it more or less in the shade. I used the Tempe Visualizer data field. (I tried the CRTTempeField data field but it would only take one reading at the start of the activity and nothing for the rest of the activity. Tempe Visualizer does this too, but it does work mostly.)

On heavy cloud cover days, the Edge and Tempe agree on temperature.

On light cloud cover days, the Edge will show a higher temperature in the open and slightly lower in full shade.

On clear days, the Edge will show a significantly higher temperature when in the open but if in full shade for long enough will come down to the Tempe temperature.

At night, the Edge and Tempe agree on temperature.

• P.S. Anyone can help me with showing the image normally?

From the tool bar at the bottom of the message box click on Insert then click on Image/Video/file.

In the next dialog click on the Upload. This should then open a dialog to select the file. (Note: While the mouse cursor is over the word Upload it does not change from the normal mouse pointer so there is no visual indication that the word is clickable.)

• Thank you, haha, sometimes it is difficult to make a user interface that everybody understands. I have updated my post.

• I reported this to Garmin yesterday (24 Sept 2021) and provided a photo showing my Edge 1030 Plus alongside a certified digital thermometer ( accuracy traceable to the national physics laboratory) My device showed 7F high at 63F.

I also confirmed the error by looking at the temperature trends from Garmin Connect and Strava of other riders on the same activity as me. This cross-referenced up to 8 other Garmin Edge devices.

PLEASE report this fault to Garmin. The more that do, the more the likelihood of an early fix. It was suggested that they may need to call some devices back for investigation.

My case ref is Re: << Ref:20319477K0 >> Re: Temperature Error <Q#:1013506>