This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct solar freezes

Hi,

Since the last update of the firmware (I have now version 11), my instinct solar keeps freezing up. Sometimes, the main watchface is hours behind the actual time and a click of a button "wakes it up" and it shows the correct time, but mostly I need to soft-reset it and of course lose everything that I did on that day.

This did not happen with earlier firmwares but now happens more and more... :-/

I did not set any "power saving mode" nor do I have set the "automated key lock" (I hope this is the right name for it, I am using a german UI).

It almost always happens over night. Two days ago, at 630 AM the display read 445 AM. Today at 755 AM it reads 230 AM (and BTW I did not wear the watch last night as it was charging...) 

I was a very happy customer, but now I am really starting to lose confidence in the watch.

And yes, I have restarted the watch quite a few times ;-)

Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

Do I have to revert to a prior version of the firmware? And if so how do I do this and where do I get this firmware from? 

*Any* help is greatly appreciated! 

Cheers.

Pascal

• ... and do not forget to disable the auto-update in Software Update settings of the watch, otherwise the rolled back version will be overwritten again.

• You're right, I only did step 5

If you would like to revert to the last public release software, drop the gupdate.gcd file, found in the System_Backdate_v1010 folder, into the \GARMIN folder of the device.

So I copied exactly that file into \GARMIN. But what then? Is there nothing else to be done aside from copying the correct file into the folder \GARMIN? 

I disconnected the watch, but nothing happened. I tried turning it off as well as "soft-resetting" it... Nothing changed aside from the freshly copied file having been deleted from \GARMIN (as I checked later on).

I am puzzled...

• As I wrote, clean up the watch to make sure there is sufficient room for unpacking the installation package, and try it again.

• Ah ok... Must have skipped this in your message. I will check how much free space is on the watch. The watch is rather new and I should not have any Courses or Workouts... Can I just delete them from the Windows Explorer when the watch is connected to the PC?

• Can I just delete them from the Windows Explorer when the watch is connected to the PC?

Yes, you can. Especially the folder //GARMIN/Activity may be already rather full, even at a relatively new watch

• Hy, same here. Version 11.0 and while hiking after nearly 3 hours a total freeze. had to reset (Ctrl for 10-15 sec)

• Hi trux,

I checked all three folders (Activity, Courses and Workouts) and they were empty (as I said: Watch is pretty new...)

I now have 3,89 MB free after having copied the update-file to \Garmin:

So I will now disconnect the watch from the PC and it should automatically start the update, right?

We'll see... I'll keep you updated.

• Well... Once more, nothing happend...

File GUPDATE.GCD has disappeared but nothing else.

I am still puzzled by the following step in the instructions: "Disconnect from your computer and proceed through the update"

It says "proceed through the update", but I am wondering whether I should do something with the watch besides just disconnecting from the PC to actually trigger the update that I should proceed through.... Maybe a combination of pressed buttons or something? Of must I rename the file?

Feeling lost...

• Happened again last night for the 6th time in about 2 weeks. Resetting the watch fixes it temporarily, and I appreciate all of the work you guys are doing to find a rollback to address the issue, but I'm thinking that Garmin needs to be on the hook to solve this since we all payed them a nice sum of money for their product. I'll see if I can get support on the phone today and ask to speak to the manager Yum

• Totally agreed!

Just did not want to waste time waiting for a further update, which is why I am trying to help myself...

Looking forward to to hear what you find out with the support...