This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin ECG

Ok, now it's official but looks like Fenix is missing hardware to support it Disappointed

www.garmin.com/.../

• As easy as it is to implement it with any chest strap

• should not be that hard to implement it with any chest straps, since they have already electrodes near the hearth.

• Not as convenient to use (or it is) than on the watch but it makes more sense. And it can monitor much longer, if that makes any difference in detecting AFib.

• Hello, I really do not understand how a company like Garmin sells high-end watches at very high prices, has not integrated the necessary hardware on the Fenix ​​7 / Epix 2. Knowing that the hardware / software roadmap is known for future years. Very disappointed with Garmin's behavior, it's a matter of principle and respect for customers!

• Their strategy sort of makes sense. Fenix devices are typically bought by athletes and those of high fitness and health levels. Unlikely to need such a feature. The ecg might be nice, but the devices like venu are more akin to Apple Watch worn by those with an interest in their health, possibly because they have cause for concern. So I understand why they’ve taken this approach.

• Sales and marketing together with the finance team, driven by the CFO would eat the product team alive, if they'd give too much in one go ;) Fenix 7 was mainly about the touch screen, with a great intro of the flashlight on the 'big boy'. Fenix 8 needs some new hardware an new features driven by it. Since release calendar for Fenix is not annual, they need something more than just ECG. Prefrably skin temperatrue sensors (e.g. phototransistors) to introduce really major improvement to sleep staging, as well as start offering things like period and pregnancy tracking. Many wearables have it already now. Next Fenix will hopefully not just catch up but also get something extra, jumping ahead. Fingers crossed Slight smile
    I know it feels bad for current gen owners, but let's face it - it's how this business runs. Still I prefer the watch that lasts with fewer features for 5-10 years so I can choose to upgrade rather than have it die after 2 years and be forced to get a new one (more likely then looking for another brand). At least we're getting all new feartures that can be added with the hardware that is already present. And back to the price aspect - well, Fenix 7X SS is priced like flagship smartphones. It's market life is most likely expected to be similar to such phone. So, some poeple will get the latest generation ASAP, even on pre-order. Some will wait to get the previous gen on a discount (keep in mind it's mainly a durable sports-watch, with a bit of specific focus target group), some will keep using their current ones as long as possible. So the worst that can happen is if the watch is not durable and the components fail right after warranty. If it bangs on for over 5 years then I see no big deal here. Watches (not smartwatches) tend to be far more expensive, if we look at premium brands. Smartwatch / sportswatch, even the most expensive, is still a consumer electronic device that I wouldn't expect to last as long as decent automatic wristwatch that can cost even many times more. And the automatic will not miss out any new features ;) It just won't have any :D

• it doesn't have anything to do with high end/high prices. a $99 fitbit can record ECG. the venu 2 plus was launched last january and came before the fenix and every other current model. it's a matter of timing really. also, you can argue the venu series is garmin's direct competitor to apple watch, so it would make sense that this would be the model they focus on for ECG. it still doesn't explain why the venu 2 plus doesn't have HRV status, but that's a different topic...

• i would just like to point out once again what a clown this 5krunner guy is. posting for a year about ecg and insisting it's coming to the fenix line and the fenix line doesn't even have hardware support for it

• You were right and I was wrong to put stock into his blog posts. Sweat smile

Edit: And now he's posted that DCR's "speculating" about ECG availability.   

• Edit: And now he's posted that DCR's "speculating" about ECG availability.