This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin ECG

Ok, now it's official but looks like Fenix is missing hardware to support it Disappointed

www.garmin.com/.../

• But it's not the optical HR sensor that's doing the ECG, though, is it? 

• No. Proper ECG requires electrodes, as I mentioned earlier. Thankfully it's nicely shown in the video on the previous page. Fenix 7 uses PPG optical sensor to capture HR & HRV. It's not possible to get any sort of close to reliable ECG readings without running electric current through our body. For a moment I was hoping that perhaps they somehow planned this in advance - hardware-wise, since the Fenix body is made of metal that can conduct the current (if only there would be some isolated metal part). Now it's kinda clear that there are no electrodes wires connecting to the bezel to use it as one contact point nor the other metal part, isolated from the rest of the watch case, to have it as the second electrode to let the 'magic happen'. It might be feasible if the underside  or any button would be electrically isolated from the rest of the casing / bezel / body in general thus allowing to have 2 electrodes. If that would be the case, we'd probably see it already in the not so long ago posted here article showing a Fenix 7 teardown :)

BTW - DC Rainmaker was first this time. Now DesFit also posted a video today about ECG on Garmin Slight smile Both seem to have synced in terms of posting this video pretty much at the same time. I'm guessing they had a 'stay quiet' policy from Garmin until a specific time (when they also posted their public article about ECG) and video publishing was probably scheduled to hit as soon as the ban is released :D

• Can you turn off 2FA? Garmin is saying it's permanent... I wouldn't have turned it on had I known.

• I don't see an option to do so. Maybe if lots of people will do a lot of fuzz about it it'll change or if you contact support to specifically request that. Or a brutal, hectic mode - export all data, create a new account without 2fa and import the data :D

That's what I see on the account in logon settings after enabling it.
    Anyways it's safer, so I like it. I'm used to MFA / 2FA for so many accounts. I've just set it to an account I anyways have configured on at least one phone (not the safest approach, I know), so I always have that code available, when needed (even to get into this forum...).

• My cardiologist recommended me an Apple Watch because the ECG function is spot on compared to a 12-lead ECG. He even  use the watch in his practice for some patients - So in terms of accuracy you will be suprised whats possible, but if Garmin venu 2 plus is the same story i dont know. 

- Apple watch only detects afib by it self, but the watch still gives you raw ecg data you can send to your local doctor.. The doctor can easily tell you if you heart rhythm is normal or you had  any abnormal isotopic beats

• We now have official information posted here regarding ECG:

Garmin Technology > Health Science > ECG

• GCM > Settings > Profile & Privacy > Manage Garmin Account > Update Sign-On Settings shows toggles for email and SMS. When I set it up, I selected SMS and it shows as on. I can turn it temporarily off but it turns back on automatically.

• Trust me, I'm in this business, just different brand. I know the nitty gritty details we cannot share with customers, just as Garmin cannot share with us (I'm a customer for Garmin, so don't know such level of detail here). I'm very familiar with validaiton process, cooperating with healthcare sector, implementing specific HRM solutions, partnerships with medical departments at unis etc. So I know how accurate a wearable can be. Still, even if it matches the medical appliances, we always keep saying it's not a medical device, hence shouldn't be used to diagnose, monitor or cure any medical conditions. It's a business sector standard. Those devices are officially targeted at healthy adults. Any other use scenarios are  'at own risk' to avoid any legal steps / actions from either customers or any sort of authorities, certification institutions etc.
    Apple on the other side is known for being known and even when accuracy isn't that awesome, they 'know how' to convince lots of health sector employees to promote their products. Just as it looks with pharmacy. So, you know - always get at least a second opinion from another doctor, before investing in some expensive, non-medical device that you aim at using for health monitoring. And still keep in mind that no matter how accurate it is, it can be used in addition to, but never instead of the proper medical stuff, if such is required. Stay healthy!

@acousticbiker - yup, the option I pasted can be found if you go to the website based version of your Garmin account. There are 2 sliders for email and text message and there's also an info that 2fa has been permanently enabled. Surely they need to work a bit on improving this, as it's still a fresh cake by the looks of it.

• For straight ECG an electrical pulse is used, distinct from the optical, but in terms of continuous detection of aFib, most watches use the optical sensor to raise the alert prompting you to take an ECG.

• Yes, that's true, but that alert is only present on watches that let you take an "actual" ecg reading, like Apple's, Fitbit's or Withing's respective products. It's never optical only (?). 

Without said alerts, the app itself doesn't seem all that useful to me anyway.