This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fenix 7X - Compass Stops Working

Opening new thread since old one got locked to track a compass issue using the v9.33 software. Please post your compass issues if it still doesn't work on v9.33.

• 9.33 seems to have fixed the issue for me I haven't seen the compass stuck when opening it, although I never had the issue where I would have to restart the watch in order to recalibrate.

Fénix 7S standard with nylon band (don't think the band influenced)

Edit: moving the spring bars affect the reading wich is a shame, but for use while in the wrist it's working fine now

• And guess what both Tactix 7 and Enduro 2 did not have this issue.

For what it's worth, I have a Tactix 7 Pro Advanced Ballistics with v8.37 and the silicon band that was included with the watch, and the compass on it is affected by rotating the pins.

• I have a Tactix 7 Pro Advanced Ballistics with v8.37 and the silicon band that was included with the watch, and the compass on it is affected by rotating the pins.

I have a tactix 7 pro FW 8.37 and do not have the problem. Compass works without problems.

• I have a tactix 7 pro FW 8.37 and do not have the problem. Compass works without problems.

I have a tactix 7 Standard FW 8.37 and also do not have any problem with the compass - rotating the springbar at the 6H position does not influence compass readings at all - compass works without problems.

• moving the spring bars affect the reading wich is a shame

But who actually takes the watch off, removes the strap, and then rotates the spring bars in normal use?

• Like others my compass is very erratic after 9.33 (this is my second Fenix with the same problem).  Usually calibrating it will make it better, but it still can be off by as much as 30+ degrees.  However, I just had a really weird new problem pop up that may or may not be connected.  My altimeter, like my compass, has been substantially off.  I just calibrated the altimeter using GPS and immediately after that my compass was jumping around like crazy and showing anything but the correct direction.  I calibrated the compass again, watch indicated success, but it still is all over the place with it's readings.  Will try more calibrations and the the power cycle to see if it comes back to it's semi-crappy performance.  PM sent to Chris.

• The compass malfunctions even when wearing it: https://youtu.be/MGwy--EhaiA 

• The compass malfunctions even when wearing it - https://youtu.be/MGwy--EhaiA 

• Why are you so adamant about this? We are just saying that compass is not working and while investigating someone figured out that compass goes crazy when pin is rotated. This is valuable information to Garmin and all of us. Why is this upsetting you so much. Nobody would be talking about this if compass was properly working. They say that it is software and that it was fixed in 9.33 but it wasn’t fixed. New stable release is likely 3-4 months away which will push us closer to a year of compass not working. This is not acceptable. I had a replacement from Garmin and the new F7X is doing the same thing. I got fed up with it and bought Enduro 2 which works fine so far and rotating pin doesn’t affect the compass. I am ok for now but what do I do with my F7X now?