This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fenix 7X - Compass Stops Working

Opening new thread since old one got locked to track a compass issue using the v9.33 software. Please post your compass issues if it still doesn't work on v9.33.

• As i wrote before in the old thread one week ago:

"2-3 days after installing the software 9.33 the compass was working properly. In the meantime, however, the compass is stuck again. The problem is definitely not solved!"

I can not understand how the problems are dealt with (for 7 month!) and how they are communicated. In the update from 30.08. Chris confirmed in the old thread that the problems still exist and are being worked on. Shortly thereafter, on 3.9. the thread is closed stating that the problem has been fixed, although there has been some feedback that the problems persist?! How does it come to believe that the problems are fixed?

If it is the case that only individual models are affected, what do I have to do to get a watch with a permanently correct compass. Is there an exchange program? Do i need to call the support?

• The issue on v9.33 is still the same as before. Compass doesn't stay calibrated if pins are spun. 
    The sad part is that Garmin suggested that : "the band pin being spun while not wearing your watch is not considered an issue since the watch is being used outside of the design"
    I honestly can't believe Garmin is now blaming the user for this defect, that's so low...Fenix 6x didn't have this issue.
    Not to mention, users are allowed to remove their watch and expect to have a fully working / accurate compass.
  • So, I have some news. I went to Garmin retail store and asked the guys there to allow me to test their Tactix 7 and Enduro 2 - they were very surprised by this and it was first time they heard about this issue.  Very cool Garmin retail employees and very helpful, kudos to them.. They have actual working units on display and they took off the bands to let me rotate the pins. And guess what both Tactix 7 and Enduro 2 did not have this issue. So, I bough Enduro 2 and brought it home and tested it for the last two days and compass is spot on and rotating the bottom pin does not do anything to compass. Enduro 2 came with 8.37 and I do not plan to update while everything is working as it should (also battery is fantastic and I love those yellow-gold accents). I will monitor it for few days but so far it seems to be very positive. 
    Another thing: I bought on Amazon a very thin sheet of magnetic shield. It basically look like a thin kitchen foil and placed it between the casing and the bottom pin of my Fenix 7X and couldn’t believe my eyes: compass did not move more than 2-3 degrees while I was rotating the pin and holding this thin sheet. I will test it more tomorrow but this thin sheet of magnetic blocker seem to work to some extent. Very impressive. 

• Similar issues to others on 9.33. Have also had to restart to successfully recalibrate compass post upgrade to 9.33. 

• The solution could be so easy. As the pins are of magnetic material, they magnetize over time and then produce the compass failure. As the former Fenix 6 doesn´t appear to have this problem, there must be un-magnetic pins that don´t disturb the compass of the watch. Unfortunately the pins of the Fenix 7X seem not easy to remove, but if Garmin would provide an exchange service, everything would be fine. 

• I removed the original pins and swapped with the Fenix 6x pins, still have the same issue. I hope firmware can fix it.

• Ups..???

This is really bad news :-(

• All the same here: with v9.33 the compass messes up when rotating the bottom pin. It decalibrates over time, regardless if I wear the watch all the time or not. Also, I tried to replace the pin with the Fenix 6 pin Garmin sent to me, no success - same behavior.  After so many monthes I need a feedback if this is a hardware problem and if I can send the watch back to Garmin to get a new one -  hopefully without the hardware problem. Otherwise please give us feedback when this will be fixed by software. But unfortunately in the old thread this has been promised before and the trust is gone now.

• Same problem with Fenix 7s. 2x complaints.

• Still same problem with v9.33. What worries me is that we don't hear much of what the problem is. There is no way the dev team is not aware of what is happening; looks more like they don't admit it.

I am in no way convinced that they tried the 9.33 update in 2-3 fenix 7  watches and the compass was working great. It was working a bit better and everybody in Garmin hoped that it would be good enough to reduce the complaints (to avoid probably a bigger issue that they have identified). It is definitely NOT good enough. The compass is NOT trustworthy.

I hope I am wrong and that Garmin acts on it with some concrete plan/explanation. And soon... because guarantees are ending.