This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sapphire vs non-sapphire reflections

In 6-series there is a huge difference in screen reflections and readability between sapphire(=much worse) and cheaper glass. But the Power Sapphire is genuine new so we need a comparison of reflection on 7-series solar sapphire vs solar non-sapphire. Is there any side-by-side photo of this?

Its a deal breaker for me, I prefer better display readability rather than more resistant sapphire & bigger storage & multiband...

• Then sapphire just isn't for you, the power sapphire will be even less translucent since it has to convert a portion of the light into energy for the watch. Or did Garmin loose that part of their solar variant and is now only using the outer ring?

• DCRainmaker said in one of his videos that the solar cell underneath the display (not the ring) is less effective in 7 series with Sapphire to prevent too dark screen. But the ring solar panel is bigger & better so solar performance overall has improved.

See also here www.dcrainmaker.com/.../garmin-fenix7-7s-7x-in-depth-review.html

• The 7x pro Sapphire is way more reflective than the 6x Pro (non sapphire). I think that the difference is mainly due to the antireflective treatment that looks to be missing or to be very low quality on the 7x.

• Could it also be you are comparing an old 6X with a brand new 7X screen ?

• No the difference is that your 6 was the non sapphire version. Any AR coating will take scratches over time anyway. I had to remove mine on the F6. It was also more of a hydrophobic coating (maybe both), but I can't say my watch is reflecting visibly more now.

But hey, you can use it as a mirror to signal SOS if you are in trouble. 

• My 6X is in pristine condition, not a scratch on it. The AR coating is in perfect condition. If you look at a sapphire watch glass with proper AR coating you can hardly believe that there really is something there. I will take some pictures as soon as I will be able to show the condition of the 6X and the differences between watches.

• Well there might be different versions out there, my  F6 sapphire was clearly very reflective as I'm used to from sapphire (and the F5) and as many reviewers shown in direct comparison. That coating didn't do anything , it just scratched easily.

• Got disappointed by the new Fenix 7x as I watched some yt videos. Still no decent a/r coating, still pretty reflective screen. I own a sapphire watch with outstanding antireflective treatment, you hardly can´t see the watchglass. Wonder how crispy the Fenix´ display would look like with this! No point in argueing with scratchproofness if you ever saw that clear, crispy screen!

• Maybe such a coating could be applied by a 3rd party?

Btw that's my F6 saphire after 1 year of usage:

And that after I removed the coating:

That's why I'm not a big fan. Also because in my case all that coating did was this:

That's not happening anymore after its removed. So that's why I think it was only a hydrophobic one.

• So it looks like your screen is perfect after removing the anti reflective coating. My 5X sapphire is still flawless but assuming it never had the anti reflective coating?

how did you remove the coating? Got a Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar and want to do this if it gets scratches easily above the actual sapphire glass. Thx.