Fenix 6 Series - 20.42 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

This update does bring in a modification to the software update process: If you load 20.42 to your device, disconnect, and choose to install later, it will delay the installation 2 hours and you will then get a prompt and a 30 second countdown. This process is only available if you are updating from 20.41 to 20.42.

20.42 Change Log Notes:

• Improved robustness to nightly altitude calibration.
  • Fixed altitude flatline bug.
  • Fixed potential issue on device boot.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models)6.15
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• Just trying to get my head around the best way to handle this situation with the altimeter (I don’t think it’s a bug).

I’ve mentioned before that I don’t sleep with my 6x Pro, I turn it off each night and put it back on each morning. The last few days the altitude has tracked pretty steadily around 100m mainly between about 98m and 102m, including leaving home and driving around. I haven’t done any activities during that time.
    This morning when I turned on the watch I have an altitude of 79m and can see the barometer has risen from around 1013 to 1016 over night. I assume overnight the watch hasn’t had the opportunity to track a slow pressure change and ignore it, it just jumps from low to high and attributes a loss in altitude to it. I have the altimeter set to Auto. 

Short of doing a manual calibration or starting an activity, is there any way to get the watch to resync itself, by itself?

• Just trying to get my head around the best way to handle this situation with the altimeter (I don’t think it’s a bug).

Not sure if it makes any difference but maybe try instead of turning it off completely just program power manager to set it to Airplane mode during nighttime hours? It works nicely for me. There were some issues on the previous beta, but 20.42 seems to be rather good and stable. But i can imagine that it can be different for other people depending on their location and other factors.

• If you want decent wrist based running power (like Coros does now which basically makes a Stryd obsolete as Coros running power and Stryd running power are basically identical), you need to be able to measure elevation loss and gain accurately or at least differently to how it is now.

That's an interesting idea and that's the only reason I can see why they may backport the algorithm from Fenix 7 back to Fenix 6, otherwise it didn't make sense to me. Still, I doubt that F6 users will get any benefits in form of running power.

I see it totally differently. The accuracy of running power requires accurate elevation changes in the very short term.  And it is enough if 99% of the second by second elevation change is accurate. Any wild running power data coming from a fake elevation change can be easily filtered out. So not even a sudden jump or fall in elevation would create a problem for running power. Moreover I am not so sure thst for calculatin running power I would use the same smoothed elevation data we can see as elevation data displayed.

If I were an engineer at Garmin I would go back to the level of raw elevation data the watch measures, especially if it is measured not just secondly,  but more often. And after calculating power data, ideally more than one in each second, I would adopt the smoothing and filtering. 

Actually I wanted to say also that the accuracy of short term elevation changes of F6 family was pretty OK , even with the old software, <=19.20.

• Found a video demonstration with 19.75b....

That's interesting but it never happened to me in such a way when I was on nightly calibration.

• I realized only now that the widgets that use the gps are not able to lock on the satellites. do you have the same problem?

• Noticed an interesting feature with the altimeter.
    My apartment is at an altitude of 230 meters. But near the house the altitude is 217 meters.
    I go outside and in the widget I see the correct height - 217 meters. I start the activity and see a request to confirm the altitude. But in the request, the altitude is not 217, but 230 meters. If I press "back" and start the activity again, the second time the height request is correct.

Same for firmware 20.30.

• Outdoors? Widgets like Sun&Moon Times and Hunt&FIsh that use a last known GPS position indoors have stopped working indoors on Fenix 5 and 6 some time ago, and that's "expected behavior" according to Garmin Support.

• Accuweather is working for me.

• It happens to me with this widget that previously it was able to lock on satellites quickly, obviously outdoors.

apps.garmin.com/.../42155349-ebb2-45c3-930e-51bbea912fa6