Fenix 6 Series - 20.00 Public Release Candidate

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

20.00 Change Log Notes:

• Added ability to turn off recording an activity during a golf round.
  • Added an alert to notify user when battery is critically low during a music sync.
  • Added HRV Support from chest strap for Yoga and breathwork.
  • Added pop-up to Pulse Ox Measuring feature if the device detects too much movement and cannot get an accurate measurement.
  • Added support for new biking activity profiles: eBike, eMTB, Cyclocross, Gravel Bike, Bike Commute, Bike Tour, and Road Bike.
  • Added support for the HIIT activity profile and workouts.
  • Added support for the Pickleball profile.
  • Added support for the Padel profile.
  • Added support for the snowshoe activity profile.
  • Added support for the tennis activity profile.
  • Added new tips to indicate which activities support Incident detection.
  • Improved accuracy of Surf wave count algorithm.
  • Improved Explore Sync app waypoint load times.
  • Improved Lactate Threshold and Altitude Acclimation algorithms.
  • Improved measurement loading UI when taking an SpO2 measurement.
  • Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will calibrate at night, activity start, and continuously during activities. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to only calibrate altitude at night. (Models without DEM maps will not perform continuous calibration during activities)
  • Fixed issue with alarms intermittently not going off when the device is set in Max. Battery Mode.
  • Fixed display issues on the device after navigating to a point initiated by the Garmin Explore App.
  • Fixed issue where selecting a single point on a map that contained multiple items would not display the items properly.
  • Fixed issue that would corrupt open water swim activity files.
  • Fixed issue where PacePro bands would not be recognized by the device.
  • Fixed issue with updating aviation data over wifi.
  • Fixed issue with activities reporting incorrect Activity Calories and Training Effect data.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line

We know this post states it is a public release candidate, yet the URL states it's a beta.  This is simply a method of delivery for public beta.  We use the same channel and therefore the 'beta' term follows each of these links.  We only note it is a public release candidate so that you are aware it's the proposed version to go live to the public.  

• Just wanted to say today I used my Fenix 6X to record a fatbike ride. Used it for rowing yesterday and hiking the day before. Works great. With all the complaining going on in this thread I thought maybe another perspective would be good. Love this watch. Have issues - sure. Piece of junk - no way. I record all kind of stuff with it and it works. Cheers.

• Great comments. 

The problem is that with every update that Garmin release, they break functionality that was working. This is unacceptable.  Imagine taking your bicycle or car for a service and it came back with problems that you did not have!  Battery goes flat overnight whilst parked, wipers stopped working???

For a device to be at V20.x at this stage of its life is crazy.

If they only followed the same process in the SLCD as they do for their aviation products, we would be actually discussing future features and functionality and helping them be the market leader.  Instead, we are having to do their regression testing and quality control in production, and some on this forum are in denial of the existence of any problems.

Imagine if this was the case with their aviation products, let the pilot test it out while flying!

Competition has caught up already with complete ecosystems (Wahoo) being further matured to offer a viable alternative.  I have friends that have been pro Garmin that are now starting to switch to their competition.  Garmin some free advice here for you!  You are being given ample opportunity to fix things and keep your customers happy.  You are letting us down!

I will no longer recommend Garmin ecosystems to friends - Edge, Varia, Tacx, Fenix.  It's my credibility is at stake now!

• We have been canceled.  Cancel culture has arrived at Garmin.

• I could not agree more with your post Rick. Thanks for speaking it out clearly.

• Been using 20.00RC for 18 days (always on latest beta). Have no problems with battery life. In fact, I have had no problems at all for my use lately (trailrunning, running, swimming, threadmill, HIIT, trekking, walking, skiing, x-country skiing) - with external HR-sensor, and Stryd.

So it is really difficult for me to understand these major "problems" described by others.

I will definetly continue to recommend Garmin, and great that they listen to customers - fixing up and integrating new functions.

Also great that they seem to support older models with FW-updates for a rather long time.

• One last time: to make sure I'm the only one seeing this: have you seen an empty or partial altimeter widget, when the watch has been on and in normal use for 4 hours at least? Support has already offered replacement (with NOH unit Disappointed ), but I have a hard time believing this is a hardware issue.

• One last time: to make sure I'm the only one seeing this: have you seen an empty or partial altimeter widget, when the watch has been on and in normal use for 4 hours at least?

Mine has always been fully populated irrespective of Software Version - currently running v20.0:

HTH

• I've seen something like that when the altimeter has calibrated badly and gone to negative values, then back to positive again; the negative bit disappears because the axis adjusts so it's under the bottom. I haven't seen anything like your second image. 

I'm at about 18m where I live. What sort of level are you, Philip?

• 44m where I live, about 4m where I work