Fenix 6 Series - 20.00 Public Release Candidate

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

20.00 Change Log Notes:

• Added ability to turn off recording an activity during a golf round.
  • Added an alert to notify user when battery is critically low during a music sync.
  • Added HRV Support from chest strap for Yoga and breathwork.
  • Added pop-up to Pulse Ox Measuring feature if the device detects too much movement and cannot get an accurate measurement.
  • Added support for new biking activity profiles: eBike, eMTB, Cyclocross, Gravel Bike, Bike Commute, Bike Tour, and Road Bike.
  • Added support for the HIIT activity profile and workouts.
  • Added support for the Pickleball profile.
  • Added support for the Padel profile.
  • Added support for the snowshoe activity profile.
  • Added support for the tennis activity profile.
  • Added new tips to indicate which activities support Incident detection.
  • Improved accuracy of Surf wave count algorithm.
  • Improved Explore Sync app waypoint load times.
  • Improved Lactate Threshold and Altitude Acclimation algorithms.
  • Improved measurement loading UI when taking an SpO2 measurement.
  • Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will calibrate at night, activity start, and continuously during activities. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to only calibrate altitude at night. (Models without DEM maps will not perform continuous calibration during activities)
  • Fixed issue with alarms intermittently not going off when the device is set in Max. Battery Mode.
  • Fixed display issues on the device after navigating to a point initiated by the Garmin Explore App.
  • Fixed issue where selecting a single point on a map that contained multiple items would not display the items properly.
  • Fixed issue that would corrupt open water swim activity files.
  • Fixed issue where PacePro bands would not be recognized by the device.
  • Fixed issue with updating aviation data over wifi.
  • Fixed issue with activities reporting incorrect Activity Calories and Training Effect data.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line

We know this post states it is a public release candidate, yet the URL states it's a beta.  This is simply a method of delivery for public beta.  We use the same channel and therefore the 'beta' term follows each of these links.  We only note it is a public release candidate so that you are aware it's the proposed version to go live to the public.  

• My first Fenix 6 Pro had 12.10 on it, but the official version was 12.20. But officially 12.10 seemed never to exist

There was a 12.10 RC for the fenix 

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/242710/fenix-6-series---12-10-public-release-candidate

but no 16.10 RC for Instinct. 16.10 never exists.

• Hello, I am having an issue with a high HR reading on my HRM-Pro, while it is connected to my watch. While standing still, if i connect the HRM-Pro to my watch (via settings on watch) my HR will jump from a very low resting HR to 140BPM. While  exercising, regardless of activity it while jump to 230BPM.  Any ideas??? This has stated to happen only after updating to FW 20.00

• I am pretty sure that this upgrade caused my 6X Saphire's wifi to stop working with the dreaded 655.35 firmware version.  

• Hello RickM

So in further chats with Garmin Support I was told a fix for the power drain in 19.20 was coming with no ETA but to expect a firmware update to fix it. But it looks like 20.00 was expected to fix this from my recent e-mailing back and forth.

So..after yet another round of requests for device resets (I have been doing for the whole week now it seems!) which don't solve anything anyway Garmin gave me a 5 digit PIN to input into Garmin Connect send device logs to them. Also they have the contents of my Garmin folder which I zipped up and e-mailed.

I did have to push to get them to the taking device logs stage and past the 'please reset' or 'please wait for a new firmware' stage.

• Will it be 6x pro version to download for the Tactix Delta Solar?

• Thanks for sharing 1071276. 

I have also sent in devices logs as well, ever since the faulty 19.20 release.  Support acknowledges that there is an issue but no fix as yet.  You would think that a fundamental issue as excessive battery drain which was introduced as a result of a buggy update would be high on the priority to fix.  Short battery life means longevity lost.

Same as you,  I have reset the device factory after updates, etc. stock everything, watch face etc. NO resolution.

For a premium device $$$ the updates are pathetic.

One of my earlier posts got removed by the moderator - HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL AND DISRESPECTFUL!

• @RickM welcome to the club. They even don't let me log in with my main account. (i mail them over one month now) they delete my previous posts also without flames or other insult. Over 2.000 euros on garmin equipment and you chat here with members to find a solution for the battery drain, and the mods is not only unprofessional, but they don't let you express your opinion freely

• I have similar experience with the forums and just stopped participating. I have also lost all my faith about reliable products with Garmin. 

• Hello, I've had the same issue last week. I replaced the HRM (Tri) battery and it seems to have solved the problem.

• I felt the same way as you at some point. However, I've come to the conclusion that most people give up too easy and that's why we (consumers) fail overall. As I'm writing this, please bear in mind that I suffered from the same dreaded battery drain on a top tier watch (6X Sapphire) without real support from Garmin, here. What each of us do, as an individual, matters. In a family, one can't "quit" or be fired and we do the best to help the person in trouble. Real life and businesses work the other way around, they promote cutthroat competition and if you're not good enough you're sacked. What if our parents did the same to us? The lesson here is not to give up on Garmin because of one mistake. It is to show them how to improve and how to do it better. However, they are a business. The moment they stop listening to their community, they already failed. This forum is proof they do, but I'd like to see more.

Not many companies really care about their user's voices, instead they care about their reputation. That's why Kickstarter and Indiegogo work well, they build things people ask for. Most big businesses are driven by profit, not by what's useful. In business school people are taught how to make money, not how to make money and good products. Their optics are not the only ones wrong, though. We as consumers should also hold companies accountable for what their products do. Companies do well when they listen to their customers, the people. Are you listening, Garmin? People should be able to create and manage a list of features/bugs they want next to be implemented and be able to vote on them. Those, Garmin should prioritize, along with what else they want to do. That, would be awesome and truly helpful for us. As well as for them, as we feel we matter and and listened to.

TLDR: I still have hope Garmin can shine. We also need to remember the good times. But, time will tell.