Basic sleep data when Fenix6 is not on wrist for the night

I have noticed different behavior with my new Fenix 6 (compared to Vivoactive 3 that I used to have).

Fellow Fenix 6 owners - can you check the amount of sleep data that you see in the web application (under Health Stats -> Sleep) when the watch is not on your wrist during the night?

Do you see this:

or maybe this:

I don't get any data with my Fenix 6s Pro ("No sleep data" message) but used to at least see the bed time and wake time with my Vivoactive 3 (the data was based on the time the watch has been taken off/put on). I'm trying to determine whether this is expected or if this is some kind of a problem with my account/configuration.

There is a noticeable difference in the phone app as well - I used to see the basic sleep data on the HR graph there (with Vivoactive 3 - notice the blue icons) - now it is missing when the Fenix 6 is not on my wrist for the night:

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Why would you expect any sleep data from your watch when you are not wearing it? 

• My watch was not working for a couple of days and it just says no sleep data like your first picture. I also do not have any sleep start or stop since the watch didn't actually know when I went to bed or woke up

• Why would you expect any sleep data from your watch when you are not wearing it? 

Dear philipshambrook - I don't expect much data if the watch is not on wrist during the night, but what puzzles me is the obvious difference between VA3 (which can provide bed time/wake up time based on the time the watch was taken off the wrist) and the newer/better Fenix 6s (which cannot do that).

This data might seem of little importance, but as I have described in another thread (https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-web/250783/heart-rate-widget-broken-when-watch-off-wrist-for-the-night) - it breaks the HR widget.

What I'm trying to determine is whether this is isolated case of my account/watch or generic problem with all the Fenix 6 watches - based on that feedback, I will contact customer service and provide them more data.

• My watch was not working for a couple of days and it just says no sleep data like your first picture. I also do not have any sleep start or stop since the watch didn't actually know when I went to bed or woke up

By saying "not working" you mean that the watch was turned off - right?

• One difference between the two devices is that I believe the fenix 6 calculates the sleep stats on the device itself rather than on the GC server.

I have found a couple of weird things on the HR widget on the website though. I’ve only had my f6x Pro since Christmas and only worn it to bed twice, (I turn it off completely when not wearing it) however the HR widget on the web normally shows HR data for the day except for about a week starting 29th December where it’s blank, then started showing stats again.

There is a sleep widget that you can add to the GC web dashboard where you can manually enter sleep, the default appears to be what you enter on the watch as your “normal” bed time, but you need to confirm each day on the web for the data to be added.

Apart from the missing few days of data in the HR widget (and it was only the graph missing, the summary stats for resting HR etc ere still populated) the graph still shows the whole day of HR data even though I have the watch off at night.

EDIT: just found that if I use the Sleep widget on the GC web dashboard to manually confirm sleep for each day, the missing graph on the HR widget gets populated and shown correctly. So it would appear that sleep either needs to be recorded on the device or confirmed manually for the graph to work. My graph was blank though and not flat lined like yours.

• EDIT: just found that if I use the Sleep widget on the GC web dashboard to manually confirm sleep for each day, the missing graph on the HR widget gets populated and shown correctly. So it would appear that sleep either needs to be recorded on the device or confirmed manually for the graph to work. My graph was blank though and not flat lined like yours.

Thanks for the information! If I understand correctly, your observations are similar to mine - HR graph works only if the sleep data is there (either gathered by the watch or provided "manually" by the user).

If this is indeed not an isolated case, we can at least hope to have it fixed one day... Is there anybody else out there seeing similar behavior? Wink

PS. It seems the "broken" HR graph shows the HR value for the 1st minute of the day - so it is either empty (if the watch was not on wrist) or has one horizontal line with HR value on midnight (if the watch was on wrist).