This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart Rate widget broken when watch off-wrist for the night

Hi!

I have recently upgraded from Vivoactive 3 to Fenix 6s Pro.

After couple of days I have noticed that the HR widget on the Garmin Connect Website shows no data (or a simple horizontal line) after I have switched to the new watch:

The Health Stats -> Heart Rate part of the website is showing all the correct data (as was the Connect app on my phone) - so the data is obviously there.

After doing some investigation, it turned out that the HR graph is broken because of missing sleep data (I usually take off the watch for the night). The sleep data is needed for the graph to scale horizontal axis properly.

After keeping the Fenix on for 1 night, the HR widget graph worked for that day (and stopped the next day).

This caught me by surprise as with the old watch (VA3) the same graph was working perfectly regardless if I had it on for the night or not.

Digging further I found that:

• with VA3 off-wrist for the night - the watch was still sending "basic sleep data", associating the time I have taken it off with "bed time" and the time it was on my wrist again as "wake time" - this could be visible in the Health Stats -> Sleep in the following way:
  • with Fenix 6s Pro off-wrist for the night - the watch does not send any sleep data, even the basic one - causing the HR graph to be broken:

Fellow Fenix 6 owners - can you please your Health Stats -> Sleep page when the watch is not on your wrist the given night?

• Is it showing bed time/wakeup time like my VA3 used to show or is it showing "No sleep data"?
  • Is the HR widget working for you when the watch is off-wrist?

I'm trying to determine if this issue is specific to my scenario (switching one watch to another - maybe the system got somehow confused...) or if this is expected behavior with Fenix 6.

Thanks for help!

• Sorry, have no Fenix 6 (you better post to the Fenix 6 forum to get someone knowledgeable to answer your questions), but I wonder why do you expect getting some sleep data when you do not wear the watch in the night? Mekes no sense to me.

Otherwise Fenix 6, unlike other Garmin watch models uses a built-in sleep analysis directly on the device, while the other models rely on the server-side sleep analysis. That may explain some differenes in the data presentation.

BTW, in case you do not know it, you also need to set the watch you want ot use for sleep monitoring as the "Preferred Activity Tracker" in its Device Settings » Activity Options. But, of course, you have to wear it while sleeping, to get some data, anyway. The watch has no remote sensning of your HR or motion.

• Well, I don't expect any sleep data when I don't wear the watch for the night (that would obviously be ridiculous Wink).

But somehow the Connect Website needs some basic sleep data (bed time/wake time) to make the HR widget work. The old watch (VA3) was able to provide that based on the time the watch was taken off/put on. The new watch (Fenix 6s) does not provide that - and that makes the HR graph broken for me.

If this is indeed intentional with Fenix 6 - then I believe the website needs some adjustments to handle this scenario in a better way than it is handled at the moment (empty/broken HR widget).

PS. Fenix 6s is at the moment the only activity tracker and was set to be the preferred one before I removed the VA3.

PPS. This was initially published in the Fenix 6 forum but got moved to the Connect Web app one by admins.

• I do not think the missing HR data has anything to do with the sleep. More likely you did not set the F6 as you preferred activity tracker, as I wrote in my previous post.

• Hi!

Being a web developer myself I checked the website code (JavaScript) and found the place where the basic sleep data is used to draw the HR graph.

The Fenix is my preferred activity tracker and I can see the HR data in Health Stats -> Heart Rate part of the website (as well as in the phone app) - so the data is gathered and sent over (as is all other data - steps, floors etc.).

The only thing that is broken is the HR widget - and this is apparently caused by the described lack of basic sleep data.

• Being a web developer myself I checked the website code (JavaScript) and found the place where the basic sleep data is used to draw the HR graph.

OK, in that case report it to Garmin's Customer Support. In the meantime, before they fix it (if they do), you can either fix it yourself using local overrides of the browser's DevTools, or just keep the watch on, while sleeping Slight smile

• I have already tried to contact customer support (and provided the technical details) but only got a generic response. One of the suggestions was to keep the watch on during the night - which I sometimes do... Slight smile

I posted this in the forum to check whether this is something local to my account / watch or whether this is more generic problem for all Fenix 6 (and probably other) watches. Based on that feedback I will let the customer support know if there needs to be some adjustments to the website or whether my account / watch needs "some fixing".

• Well, as I already wrote, since you already know where the problem is in the JavaScript, just fix it yourself using the DevTools » Local Overrides. Garmin is not very quick in fixing this kind of bugs, especially if they do not concern everyone, and do not generate them any massive waves of complaints. So I would not expect they'll do anything with it anytime soon.

If you do not use the sleep tracking, then you could try removing the sleep time from the User Settings, or setting both the values to 0:00. Not sure whether it can help, but I think it is worth of trying.

• As I mentioned in your other post, looks like you need to either wear the watch to record sleep or confirm your daily sleep in the sleep widget for the HR widget to populate.

I guess it would be nice if it automatically accepted your pre entered bed time (say 11pm to 7am) but it seems to want a daily manual confirmation.

• I guess it would be nice if it automatically accepted your pre entered bed time (say 11pm to 7am)

I agree - this would be very handy.

I also believe the HR graph could be improved to make it work even if there is no sleep data at all. There is no obvious connection between those two pieces and there might be more users scratching their heads with missing HR data on the widget...