This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

(RESOLVED) - GPS Accuracy Issues Starting January 1st 2021

Fenix 6X Pro - s/w 13.10

My last 2 walking routes seem to be way off the mark when viewed on a map, whether in Garmin Connect or Strava. One had me starting 5 miles away.

Any reason for this? Is the GPS accuracy really bad? Are there any tips to improve accuracy?

Thanks for any assistance.

• Relax guys. There’s nothing wrong with your watches. It’s a GPS bug regarding New Year, and will be corrected automatically. 

• I had this problem today too.

Fenix 6X Pro, s/w 13.10. It was set to GPS only.

I ran 21 km, first 8 km the track was shifted west/north-west by around 300 meters. The rest was OK.

• > Relax ... It’s a GPS bug regarding New Year

You say that like it’s acceptable from a company that has been in the GPS business for 30 years. Garmin just gonna shift everyone 100m to the west today, no biggie.

They obviously had no idea this was coming, and so they have no idea if some other bug is going to mess with things next week. They apparently don’t understand their own hardware and software.

I look forward to the detailed and forthright explanation of the problem from Garmin. Won’t hold my breath however.

Here is today’s loop run, in reality starting and ending at the same place. Apparently I can walk on water now?

• same here with the marq athlete.... yesterdays and todays workouts are off. Good to know it is just a gps issue. Almost bought a coros *lol

• Same problem in Portugal. Southwest deviation affecting the first 2 km.

My running mate was using a 235, and the route was saved perfectly,

Thanks

• Seeing a similar issue on the Suunto forums - S9B, bad new GPS version | Suunto Community Forum as well as several users with a variety of devices on strava. Possibly related to the Sony chipset.

• Honestly I have been disappointed with the change to the low-power GPS even before today. If this is a hardware problem I may well return the device as defective and hold out for Fenix 7.

• Today, for the first time in over a year with my 6X I had a very bizarre start to my GPS track. The end point is correct and the start point should be the same place - at the boot of my car. The track should match both out and back from the car until I start the big loop. I had a good lock at the start, so I thought.

Clearly a ghost in the machine today. This is not normal behaviour at all. Firmware has not been changed since installing 13.10 three weeks ago. Watch is synced with the phone multiple times each day.

Second image is the same route walked yesterday, with the correct track recorded as usual.

I wonder if this is a one time glitch due to the year change. It's a little coincidental, maybe. GPS + GLONASS in South East UK for my examples.

• Hi, after reading all comments I looked closer to my track/hike today. Noticed the start is spot on, like most of the track. Only the last part is way off, as it should have ended on the same point as start... F6 pro fw12.20

Did not yet do the upgrade to 13.10, not sure after reading so many issues. 

Rg Co

• Hi, after reading all comments I looked closer to my track/hike today. Noticed the start is spot on, like most of the track. Only the last part is way off, as it should have ended on the same point as start... F6 pro fw12.20

Did not yet do the upgrade to 13.10, not sure after reading so many issues. 

Rg Co