12.20 update? - Vo2 Max not updating, performance condition has disappeared and erratic HR

Hi, I'm hoping someone can relate to this...

Since 23rd October (perhaps coinciding with the update to 12.20?) I've noticed that Vo2 Max readings aren't updating on my Fenix6 Pro.

I've run 3 times this week and on each occasion I've noticed that no performance condition indicator has appeared after 6 or 7 minutes as it usually does and the performance condition data field whilst running is not displaying anything. I've run at a moderate to quick pace covering heart rate zones 3, 4 and 5.

I noticed that my running heart rate zones differed to the generic heart rate zones by 1 and amended this yesterday so that they matched, just in case. Today, however, it was the same story on my run. No new Vo2 Max reading and also, no performance condition either in the data field whilst running or in Garmin Connect afterwards!

I've also noticed that my heart rate spikes considerably about 12 minutes into a run by roughly 25-30bpm with no added exertion on my part on a route I've been running for over a year! It looks like this is also impacting the training load which is still registering but the increased HR is resulting in a much higher load being added than it should do!

Just wondered whether anyone else has experienced any of these issues, has any idea how to fix them and whether this is in fact related to the 12.20 update or something else?

Thanks in advance!

• I'm the same since October no updates on my VO2 max, I reinstalled the 12.20 by dropping back to 11.10 then re-installing the 12.20, also doing a full reset, but just wasted my time,

The last three runs, each gave me a +2 et twice a +4 condition after the first Km or so but nothing changed

Runanlyse has uppped me +2 points from 47 to almost 50

I'm fairly sure that this is a 'bad' update' as I nearly always have up and downs (over training) with my VO2 max, and now nothing for nearly a month, waiting for a new beta to come available

• Following Monday's partial success (performance condition visible in garmin connect after the run (not live) and VO2 Max reading registered for Monday), yesterday's run was less of a success! Back to square one. No performance condition (either live or in GC) and no VO2 Max reading. Not sure that reinstalling 12.20 from webupdater with Garmin express closed in task manager before each run is the answer! Might just have to wait for the next update and hope that it fixes these problems as well as the heart rate spikes. 

• Agreed on HR seems to be off in latest. Went on what I thought was easy run and HR constantly pegged at 166. I'd check it again a minute or so later and was around 145 range. Another minute, back at 166+. Same effort, same stride. Bummer as it dropped my VO2 max. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to imcluelesstoday

I did a little research on the files through Runalyze. All runs before 12.20, even those with a trail run mode, have Performance condition values.

Immediately after installing 12.20 of the first run so far the values are as follows:

PC (by file) is -/-+0;

PC at start/ at the end (by file) is -+0.

• I just can’t believe that Garmin is aware of the issue and does nothing about it. I mean... it’s a lot of people having the same issue, just fix it!!!

• My VO2 has dropped quite a bit.  Basically, I've aged about 15 years in the last month or so.

Did they change the calculation somehow or is it recording zeroes in the background wiping my VO2 out or am I not in as good of shape as I thought?

• I just can’t believe that Garmin is aware of the issue and does nothing about it. I mean... it’s a lot of people having the same issue, just fix it!!!

It's clearly not a simple fix...as usual. While there are a few people posting about having the problem, there are others who are not. I have not been as active as I'd like in recent weeks (a combination of apathy and can't be bothered) but I've still been seeing my VO2max and training load with and without a chest strap:

As long as people report their problems to Garmin then I think we can be certain that Garmin will be looking in to it. As has been said on many occasions, it is not enough just to post hear. You also need to contact Garmin Support and let them know.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to philipshambrook

Yes, Philip, that's right, we did it, but do you know that only in the F6 forum there is no inclusion from Galmin that they have been notified and are working on the problem, provided that this is done with all watches from the FR series.

• If you had read the whole thread you would probably know that I did contact Garmin customer support and rather than acknowledging the problem they tried to convince me that the runs did not qualify for Vo2max readings (which I demonstrated to them not being the case). I’m reporting my experience which has so far been very bad, I’m glad you had a better experience with the support team. 

• Nice image, very useful, did you make it yourself ? as I can't find all that data in one image, neither on the phone or web