What's The Point of the Temperature Sensor?

i'm not sure what the purpose is for the temperature sensor on this device. it's always wrong, through no real fault of its own. seems like it's picking up body temperature as well as air temp, so you're left with a reading that's too low to be recording body temp and too high to be recording air temp lol. soooo, what's it there for?

Top Replies

All Replies

• What is the point of that sensor anyway? You must always put-it on a desk and wait for 20 minutes to read the ambient temperature?

Is useless in that way.

Do not forget that the temperature is as data field also.

What to use for?

To use as a mix of the skin and ambient temperature.

Is useless that way.

P.S.

Of course, we read the manuals or know to use the devices.

Do you think is hard to use a device like this?

• Do you think is hard to use a device like this?

It appears that some devices are simply too complicated for some people Thinking

• Regarding the comment, Garmin advertises temperature as a thing, not as a thing that doesn't do the thing it's called but supports something else.  Who honestly, would think barometer or having to take the watch off for the sensor to work properly.

It's at a minimum confusing, at worst misleading, because I'd love to have a viable temperature sensor on the watch rather than relying on sensors 20 miles away.

• Garmin advertises temperature as a thing, not as a thing that doesn't do the thing it's called but supports something else.

Sure it does, just not in the manner you want.

www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-6E06604B-869D-4F27-9BD0-4916C177E215.html

• Who honestly, would think barometer or having to take the watch off for the sensor to work properly.

Since you asked, I'd honestly say anybody who is capable of reading the user's manual, since its clearly stated in more than one section. 

page 41 says this:

The temperature reading is not accurate
    Your body temperature affects the temperature reading for the internal temperature sensor. To get the most accurate temperature reading, you should remove the watch from your wrist and wait 20 to 30 minutes.
    You can also use an optional tempe external temperature sensor to view accurate ambient temperature readings while wearing the watch.

page 45 says this:

Temperature: The temperature of the air. Your body temperature affects the temperature sensor. You can pair a tempe sensor with your device to provide a consistent source of accurate temperature data.

and while I'm being honest, I'd expect that most people would understand that because the sensor is embedded INSIDE the watch case, anything that heats or cools the watch case will affect the reading, even if its not on your wrist.  Just to be clear, even if you take the watch off and wait for 20 to 30 minutes it won't necessarily report the correct air temperature if you have it sitting in direct sunlight, even though it is off your wrist like the owner's manual suggests.

• Since you asked, I'd honestly say anybody who is capable of reading the user's manual, since its clearly stated in more than one section. 

I'd go a step further. It's common sense that if you set a thermometer in contact with direct sunlight, it will give you inaccurate ambient temperature readings. It's common sense if the watch is in a hot tub or cold lake, contact with the water will give you inaccurate ambient temperature readings. Why is it that common sense ceases to exist for some when a thermometer is worn against a 98.6 degree body? 

• Give him a break, his watch barely works anymore after that simple pebble touched it

• Common sense seems to disappear the moment people buy a ”PREMIUM watch for $1000 that cannot even do this one FUNDAMENTAL BASIC feature!!!”

Somehow that $1000 makes some people feel entitled to a product that in many ways defies the laws of physics.

• i know this thread has gotten a little hostile, but i assure you my intentions are innocent. i just wanted to know why it's there if the two practical purposes i'd use it for are impossible. also, i record my rides with both the watch and the edge 830, and the edge appears to be quite accurate (mounted on the handlebar). 

i love my tactix. one of the best devices i've ever owned actually, and i just want to make sure i'm getting the most out of it. i'm not going to buy a tempe sensor, so that's out, so i guess i'll just rely on the internet temp it's pulling down for a gauge of the weather conditons during my rides

• Not your fault - any thread lonut joins becomes a mess.

What's the reason for not being interested in a Tempe? They are pretty inexpensive, as far as external sensors go.

I don't really even care that much about recording accurate temperatures, but for under $30 I figured I might as well.

As to why it's there if the two reasons you'd want to use it for aren't possible, it's there for people who want to use it for the purposes that it is good for - specifically swimming and off-body usage. If you have no use for that, then no worries, just don't use it.