Smart Trainer and HR monitor

Hi,

With recent update, finally my Fenix 6 can connect to my smart bike trainer, which is great!

However, there is some tricky issue I don't know how to solve.

The problem is that whenever I connect to my bike trainer, I cannot get the HR monitor to work again. Neither the on watch display nor the ANT+ receiver for Zwift on PC to receive the HR broadcasting shows any valid HR.

Maybe the SW is trying to get HR reading from the trainer? But my trainer cannot measure HR at all.

I guess this is a more generic questions: when there are more than one sensor for the same type are connected, how to choose which one to use?

I wish my bike trainer can provide power information to the watch so I can see the Garmin Training Effect, but in the same time, I need the wrist HR monitor to work.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

• Hi, same problem here. I just got back to the forum to see where I can post this and eventually report it. Exactly same issue.

The workaround for me was to disable the "Trainer" sensor and all got back to normal.

I also tried the hard reboot, keeping power button for like 20 sec until it shut down and then powering it on and still having same issue.

I actually don't know if it is a bug, or a feature, as you said, it might wait for HR data from the trainer also, which doesn't have this.

I will get my strap back and test with the strap too and see if this does any change.

Where to report this to Garmin, please?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

hi,

care to talk about your hardware setup and workout procedure, like trainer make ? etc

is the common part where you both want hr to be transmitted by the watch while using a trainer in FE-C mode

happy & safe sporting

• Sure. I am using a Kinetic Rock and Roll Control https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers-products/rock-and-roll-control

I run Zwift on my computer and connected to this trainer over Bluetooth. In the meantime, I use my Fenix 6 wrist HR monitor to broadcast heart rate to Zwift.

This setup does not give me the Garmin Training Effect, so I would like to have my watch connected to the trainer (over ANT+FEC) to get power information as well. However, when I connected the trainer, the wrist HR monitor does not work anymore.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Jun_Li

hi,

thank you for the feedback

would like to have my watch connected to the trainer (over ANT+FEC) to get power information
    • no need for this setup

pair your trainer as power meter to your watch

happy & safe sporting

• Well, thanks for the advice. But my trainer only has ANT+FEC. It does not have power meter profile. Until the latest SW update of the watch, the watch is not able to find the trainer at all when I tried to search for new sensor.

• Former Member

do you see power on zwift ?

either zwift is using FE-C or your watch is using FE-C to control the trainer

not both

sure about the no power meter profile...sounds odd

I'll check the link Slight smile

happy & safe sporting

• Former Member

found it

happy & safe sporting

• That is interesting, I have tried so many times before, either search for power meter or search for all kinds of sensors,  and the watch was never able to find the trainer.  I will try it again later. 

And yes,  Zwift is using the FEC to control the trainer. 

• Former Member

wish you success Thumbsup

you talked about having trouble after the last firmware update

• guess to version 11.10 ?
    • fe-c protocol on fenix was only recently silently introduced

do a power off with press and hold light button until the screen goes blank

• turn the watch back on and disable the trainer in the sensors menu
    • search again with your trainer powered on

happy & safe sporting

• Yes, this happened only after 11.10. And before that I was not able to use the trainer to provide power to watch at all. Now it starts to work, so I would like to wish for better. Slight smile

And I tried it again, turn off/on the watch, turned off/on the trainer. Search for power sensor and nothing found, then search for all sensor got a FEC trainer. Disappointed

Actually you reminded me, since Kinetic did put the power profile icon there, I probably should also check with them what I can do.