Smart Trainer and HR monitor

Hi,

With recent update, finally my Fenix 6 can connect to my smart bike trainer, which is great!

However, there is some tricky issue I don't know how to solve.

The problem is that whenever I connect to my bike trainer, I cannot get the HR monitor to work again. Neither the on watch display nor the ANT+ receiver for Zwift on PC to receive the HR broadcasting shows any valid HR.

Maybe the SW is trying to get HR reading from the trainer? But my trainer cannot measure HR at all.

I guess this is a more generic questions: when there are more than one sensor for the same type are connected, how to choose which one to use?

I wish my bike trainer can provide power information to the watch so I can see the Garmin Training Effect, but in the same time, I need the wrist HR monitor to work.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Jun_Li

hope you do not need this ?

dcrainmaker.com - hands-on-kinetic-inride-v2-and-smart-trainers-now-support-dual-ant-bluetooth-smart

check : you should already have a new pod

happy & safe sporting

• No, that is for the semi-smart trainers, not the smart trainer

• Well, here is what I got from Kinetic. Now we are back to square one. Disappointed

Thanks for the questions.  The icon on the side of the box is merely stating that it will report power and speed and any ANT+ FE-C products.

We're actually waiting for Garmin to update their ANT+ legacy profiles.  Most of their watches will not use ANT+ FE-C.  Standard ANT+ will not work with any of their watches or EDGE head units below the 520.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Jun_Li

hi, not much help there, reads like a fantasy story Slight smile

ok prepare to start from the beginning

• check and verify with kinetic what sensor type and version is on your trainer ! (link DC RAinmaker !)
    • disconnect or turn off any device connected or connecting or paired with the trainer
    • perhaps you need to reset the sensor on the trainer to clear paired devices (when possible ask kinetic)

from here you can start again from scratch

happy & safe sporting

• This is what I've just posted in the 945 forum in response to the same question:

I've just done a session on my Vortex 2 Smart without any problems following setting up a watch after resetting it. However, I did not connect the 'Trainer'. As in the past, I connected my HRM-Dual (ANT+), speed and cadence sensors on my bike, and Power from the Vortex. In Rouvy I connected the HRM-Dual (Bluetooth), Power, and Spd/Cadence from the trainer. That all worked so it's a start point.

I'll have a look next time at involving the the new 'Trainer' connection. Bear in mind that when you invoke the Smart Trainer you are using the watch to control the trainer hence the options so I would assume you cannot use Zwift/Rouvy.

Quick check of understanding too. When you use the Smart trainer settings you choose to use the watch to control the trainer independent of Zwift/Rouvy. In other words you can't connect to Zwift AND use the Smart Trainer settings from the watch as that would be like having two controllers fighting over the one trainer.

DCRainmaker's got a pretty good rundown of the process that makes it apparent that you use either the watch OR Zwift/Rouvy to control the trainer - www.dcrainmaker.com/.../garmin-shows-off-smart-trainer-integration-on-fenix-6-forerunner-945.html

"At any rate, I’m honestly not convinced there’s that many people using their wearables to control their smart trainers in 2020 (or beyond). I think the number of people executing trainer workouts from wearables (and even bike computers) is diminishing as training app platforms get better and better at what they do."

• So if we simply want to record a smart trainer workput... simply make surwe the sensor is connected ... do we need to select an activity... I had assumed this was the new indoor trainer free ride option...

• Hi, This I discovered fast after having issues. Disabling the "Trainer" sensor got all back to normal that was before 11.10. Also, i can see that Indoor bike now has options for training, "Free ride" is the one I think is best to chose while Zwift will do the actual work to control trainer.

Zwift+Neo (gen1) here. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to 4034694

hi,

So if we simply want to record a smart trainer workout...
    • simply = without use of app control like zwift and others
    simply make sure the sensor is connected ...
    • the sensor = smart bike trainer with power/speed and FE-C control protocol
    • connected = power/speed sensor
    • trainer in the watch is not really a sensor but a protocol to control your smart trainer with power
    I had assumed this was the new indoor trainer free ride option...
    • given the above comments, yes
    • read, reread and understand what  wrote in the previous post Thumbsup

happy & safe sporting

• So far it seems that choosing "free ride" on watch would allow the trainer be controlled by Zwift at the same time.

• hulubei, yes, disabling the trainer would go back to before like nothing happened. I posted the question here only to hope to get more (that the trainer and the wrist HR sensor work at the same time). Slight smile