Fenix 6 Series - 7.77 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

The latest Fenix 6 beta software is now available for your upcoming adventures! One note about this update specifically:

• We have bumped the version number of the current beta update for the Fenix 6 series to match the version number that MARQ is using. This will make it easier for us to distribute the files. It is okay that your device is skipping from 6.10 to 7.77, this is intentional. 7.77 is the first update since 6.10.

GPS changes from 2.80 to 4.01: Improve total distance computation in ultratrac mode for cycling activities.

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
Fenix 6s Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
Fenix 6 Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

7.77 Change Log Notes:

• Added support for connecting to a shifting sensor (Sram Etap or Di2 bike) that supports up to 4 front and 12 rear gears.
  • Add support for using Widget Glance fonts in Connect IQ.
  • Added support for Grit and Flow data fields for MTB.
  • Added support for a ‘Silent’ option to the Smart notifications Sounds alert settings. (Menu > Phone > Smart Notifications > During Activity/Not During Activity > Sounds)
  • Fixed an issue where the device would crash when starting a POI search right after canceling an “Around Me” search.
  • Fixed an issue where features that auto-enable during the sleep window were not working as expected. (For Ex: Battery Saver.)
  • Fixed an issue where the device would erroneously display an assistance banner after disconnecting from USB.
  • Fixed an issue with Brazil Daylight savings time.
  • Fixed a couple of issues that should improve device stability.
  • Fixed a couple of altimeter calibration issues. This should address speed spikes in activities with 3d speed enabled. (For example: Ski.)
  • Fix always showing the Updating spinner when changing an alarm.
  • Fix a potential crash when using the Breathwork app.
  • Fixed an issue where the watch may freeze during a Ski activity.
  • Improved the user experience when call related notifications are received.
  • Improved the layout on the Ski Run Data Page.
  • Improve responsiveness when adding or removing favorites.
  • Improve display of Grit and Flow data-fields for the MTB app.
  • Improved error handling when using the Garmin Pay Wallet.
  • Improved error handling for downloading Heart Rate from a strap, by notifying the user if one attempts to download Heart Rate data over Bluetooth vs ANT.
  • Made several improvements to Clocks.
  • Made several improvements to Breathwork.
  • Made some improvements to the DogTracker widget.
  • Made several other bug fixes and code improvements.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 4.01
Sensor Hub: 5.05
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 4.30
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 2.10
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• These tests are with 6.10. I think is better to install 7.77, do some new tests and send an e-mail with all details to [email protected]

Probably is better also to wait GPS update but I remind you to make tests only after some activities with GPS on ora leaving the watch 15/20 minutes with GPS activated still in the same place. 

• But cycling, especially outdoors, can be tricky for wrist HR in my experience.

True, but that doesn’t explain the difference when you start an activity mid-ride and the WHR jumps up 30-50 beats to more accurate values. Same wrist placement, same tension, etc.

• I can confirm cycling outside of activity is still being tracked 30-50 bpm too low. Starting an activity fixes WHR immediately.
    Guess you don’t cycle to and from work then

If HR tracking isn't working for you outside an activity, why wouldn't you start an activity until there's an update that works for you? What does your work commute have to do with anything? 

• I wonder if it's something to do with Move IQ " intelligence. i.e. the watch doesn't get interested until it believes you're serious. so it sort of flounders for several minutes until it figures out that the raised pulse is not a glitch, but something really is going on. Then it starts behaving. Of course, if it never catches up, even after 10+ minutes, then maybe it's something else. Just spitballing maybes here.

• hey - well, from my perspective, unless it's a change of the gps fw - the rest of the beta fw won't make any difference; actually i wrote on his behalf as the 'new gps software' keywords popped in front of my eyes, and he was constantly complaining how bad the new fenix is compared to his old fenix 3. i suggested him to create a ticket but he's too lazy :D - so i thought to raise it here; either way, as the gps implementation didn't get any better since the 945, i doubt it will now...but one can only hope 

• I agree with this, it seems to have issues starting in some sports and when the case it's rubbish. In other sports it's perfect (swimming, running, walking etc.,) for me.

• My forest run in between trees and difficult terrain for GPS still is not good for the Fenix 6 pro.

My last 3 trail-runs on fw 7.77, the same track every day. Compared to Samsung S10+Endomondo. I have previously also included my 10 year old Garmin Forerunner 305, which typically measures pretty exactly in between the F6 vs S10:

F6: 9,70km   S10: 9,93km

F6: 9,59km   S10: 9,91km

F6: 9,71km   S10: 9,97km

and on fw 6.10 a different trail-track:

F6: 9,46km   S10: 9,78km

• I start an activity every time, until this is solved at least. Have been doing so since last summer, when the FR945 got firmware 2.64 and WHR outside of activity was messed up afterwards. I later exchanged my FR945 with the F6Pro, but same sensor meant same dismal performance sadly.

My cycling work commute is sometimes 2h at a steady HR of 130-160. Around 1/3 of the rides my F6Pro catches up a bit after maybe 10 minutes and WHR rises to around 110. The other 2/3 of the rides my HR stays at 85. If I don’t start an activity that is. I don’t think that is acceptable. And I don’t think there will be an update that works for me or a lot of others. It’s been 6 months since Garmin acknowledged this problem, but still no fix.

• My forest run in between trees and difficult terrain for GPS still is not good for the Fenix 6 pro.

My last 3 trail-runs on fw 7.77, the same track every day. Compared to Samsung S10+Endomondo. I have previously also included my 10 year old Garmin Forerunner 305, which typically measures pretty exactly in between the F6 vs S10:

I have found the final distance on my F6P to be spot-on.  (have done a number of races with marked courses).  However, if I use autopause, and stop a bunch of times.  it seems to lose quite a bit of distance.  Are you using autopause?

My runs have been clear-sky.  no big trees where I live.

• Posted on the MARQ forum for this update from Garmin:

"Everyone, we apologize for the issues/confusion surrounding the (!) next to the GPS version on your watch. We are in the process of releasing a new GPS update which will take care of this, but in the meantime, the (!) will not cause any GPS issues."