Edit: we won, it’s finally added! Garmin, please add E-Bike activity type to the Fenix 6 software and let me change activity type to E-Bike ride in Garmin Connect!

Hi all,

thank you kindly for pitching in to this discussion. I am super happy to report that the feature we all needed now is implemented in the official version of the firmware, I just got the update automatically to my Fenix. I look forward to test it shortly.

thanks!

/H

Original message below:

In Europe, commuting to the train, pulling the kids in the bike-trailer type of riding on pedal-assisted bikes in regular clothing are increasingly common. For me, the hours of these rides rack upp providing active recovery, soft endurance type riding.

As a longtime road and mtb cyclist and when I gear up properly for training or racing on my regular bikes I use a Garmin Edge 530 to display and record all the metrics from power meters etc, strangely enough on that device Garmin gives me the option to record an e-bike activity. 

For me it would be really impractical to have to fit and bring my Edge 530 for the pedal-assisted rides in regular clothing mentioned above, especially when I have a Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire on my wrist. Today I have to record those pedal-assisted rides as a regular bike ride on my Fenix, putting incorrect data into Garmin Connect. Further, I am not allowed to change the activity type to an E-Bike ride (edited) even on Garmin Connect? Then I have to (and can on that platform) manually change it to an e-bike ride on Strava.

Garmin, please add the e-bike activity type you already have available on the edge devices to the Fenix 6 software. Please also add the option of changing activity type to an E-Bike ride (edited) after the fact in Garmin Connect. Thank you! 

• I am not sure about changing it to "E-Bike", but you can change the activity in Garmin Connect. But i think you mean to E-Bike and you are right there, E-Bike has to be an option. I personally use normal bikes, also for commuting, but yes an E-Bike Mode on the watch would be really useful! Another benefit  would be, that a lot people will loose their segment times. Or the segment classification would be more accurate

• Thank you, I have edited my post to reflect that you can edit activity types in Garmin Connect, you just cannot change an activity into an E-Bike ride. I can for example change it to wing-suit flying, flying a drone, yoga or motocross, that does not really help however Smiley

• I’m curious what benefit you are seeking in having these rides recorded as e-bike vs regular biking?

• agree,  would not make much sense  :-D Definitely missing option here....

@ for normal commuting it will not be a huge difference i guess....You do not go all out or have a power meter on the e bike so you will not have high HR and power data. But all in all it will just mess up your training load calculated on the watch. At least i would assume, because the HR is not matching with  "normal biking". 

• Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this the reason Garmin added an "Other" app option for situations such as this? You can add the data fields you want. The activity is recorded and doesn't mess up any of the other cycling data and you can add the info, such as E-Bike, in the notes in GC. 

• Well, as that won’t pass it on as an e-bike ride activity to Strava is a good reason I guess? As this already works correctly on the Edge line, why not make it work correctly on the Fenix line as well?

• I thought the concern was how it was recorded and the data used within Garmin Connect. If the concern is with how the data is used with Stava, try Garmin's product suggestion site.  If the Edge line works this way, you have a great argument for adding it to the Fenix line too. 

• I just wonder why you even want to record these rides as an activity if you don´t consider it as real "training"?

But apart from that, why do you think it would mess up other data in connect? Which data and why?

On a side note I also dont understand your concerns about HR. On the ebike I reach my max HR the same way as on any other bike if I want.

I understand the concern about strava export, though. But Strava is so endlessly stupid that it doesn´t even set the activity type to "ebike" if your default equipment/bike actually is an "ebike" in strava, so even then you have to edit and correct everyactivity.
    So I wonder if strava would even get it if connect would flag an activity as "ebike" instead of "bike"

• Thank you for replying! I do consider it as training, as posted above, it provides mostly active recovery or soft endurance type riding.

It’s different from regular riding as the power required for a certain speed will not match the HR on a regular ride, so it makes sense to keep these rides in a separate bucket. For me, it’s so strange not to provide that option as they have it elsewhere in the ecosystem and within the same product line (sport and fitness). Riding an e-bike with a Fenix might be a more common use case than strapping it to a drone Smiley

On the edge it just works and the activity type is transferred to Strava as an e-bike ride as well. 

• If you consider is as part of your training regime then I don´t understand this conclusion of yours:

"It’s different from regular riding as the power required for a certain speed will not match the HR on a regular ride, so it makes sense to keep these rides in a separate bucket."

Why should it make sense to have lighter training sessions in a separate bucket? In the end its training with less HR. I don´t think that the speed counts in there. If you would go downhill only you also have more speed with less HR, should that be a seperate bucket as well? And if you mount lighter tires with a lighter bike as well?