Fenix 6x sapphire glass scratches

I’ve got fenix 6x sapphire for about a month. Today I discovered  that the sapphire glass has a scratch on it. Anybody has similar  experience with sapphire on 6/x?

both my wife’s and mine 5s/5x did not get any scratches during two YEARS of intensive use, which is why i was very surprised to see this scratch on the 6. I’ve always been telling ppl that sapphire on Garmin is indestructible- what was my experience with the 5x

• The same.

I also have an assortment of scratches already on my F6 Pro Sapphire. I was actually wondering if I got a Gorrilla GLass version. My previous F5+ did not get any scratches in almost 2 years use and this has several after a little more than half a year (and my activities in general have not changed):

• I think that the Sapphire screen on Fenix 6 has some kind of coating on top of the glass, which doesn't make any sense to have because it's definitely softer than sapphire. My Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Sapphire Titanium's screen was scratched before by simply having an iron dumbbell rub against the screen. As we know, iron only has a MOHS scale of 4-5 depending on its purity, but Sapphire's is 9, so the dumbbell shouldn't have scratched the screen unless the screen isn't even sapphire. Additionally, I was aware that the screen was scratched lightly in a few other areas before.

After seeing these scratches on a watch that I had paid a premium price for the sapphire screen, I decided to order some gel with 0.5-microns of diamond dust. I gelled the screen and then wiped the screen for several minutes. Then, after I cleaned up, the scratches miraculously disappeared from the screen. In fact, afterward, I had not seen any scratches on my watch's glass at all for several months.

I just don't understand why Garmin would put a softer coating on a sapphire screen. Indeed, doing so defeats the purpose of having a scratch-proof Sapphire screen.

• It is the anti glare treatment. I read an article about differences from Gorilla Glass and Sapphire and one of the difference was that because of this kind of treatment usually Sapphire is less anti scretches than Gorrila Glass and you are confirming that. 

I decided to order some gel with 0.5-microns of diamond dust

Could you give us some more detail about the product? Do you have a link? 

• I think you're probably right. I don't remember banging my watch against anything what would leave a scratch. The scratch I have on my Rolex sapphire I definitely remember happening :-)

I too would be interested in which specific gel you did it with - I think I'd rather have no coating than scratches.

• It is the anti glare treatment. I read an article about differences from Gorilla Glass and Sapphire and one of the difference was that because of this kind of treatment usually Sapphire is less anti scretches than Gorrila Glass and you are confirming that.

I can confirm that. When i first "scratched" my 6x sapphire I was quite shocked because I was extremely careful with it. These were really shallow and visible under stron light (like direct strong sunlight). I read some suggestions that the "scratches" on sapphire can be a residue from the softer material that caused the "scratch" and to try to rub it off with a rubber. So I followed this suggestion. After all, what damage to a sapphire screen can a pencil rubber do? So after some rubbing I noticed that the original scratches have dissapeared but in the place of the rubbing there was a spot/stain (hard to describe, english is not my native language) also visible under light. It really looked like I rubbed some kind of a layer from the glass off. When I puffed on the glass this spot was clearly visible because it would not cover in steam (also water would gather up on this spot but form drops on the remaining surface)

Even Garmin on its site states that they do not recommend polishing the sapphire glass because it would mess the original treatment of the glass. I wish I knew about that. I would've saved the extra 100$ and just bought the screen protector, since I am using one now, which has made my buying a sapphire version pointless. 

• if what you say is true, we will have to protect our sapphire Fenix, it should be the same for the tactic delta is its curved glass. personally I protect the glass of all my Garmin watches, I invite you to do the same for avoid disappointment!

• Hi, which watch face are you using here. is that a Garmin watch standard face or from connect IQ third party face?

• True but what is the point of having a sapphire version then? I bought mine do that I wouldn't have to use a screen protector. If I knew I'd have to use one anyway I would have saved The 100$.

• Having a look of such amount of unsatisfied people  (as me) , I Don’t understand Garmin  never tried to deliver some comparative data between previous  models and the 6 series to Demonstrate  we were wrong and we didn’t properly take  care of your wonderful watch.

• same thing happened to my garmin 6x sapphire glass, I have a long scratch cross the screen, so disappointed