This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Anyone STILL having heart rate accuracy issues with their Fenix 6?

Hi all,

Super frustrated, but I am still having issues with my Fenix 6S and heart rate accuracy even with the 4.20 software update. I'm wondering if it's just me or what the deal is? I had a 5S Plus before this and had no issues doing the same activities so I really don't think it's user error. My heart rate hardly reads over 110 during really vigorous exercise when my heart rate is closer to 160+. I have tried wearing on the inside of my wrist, tried my other wrist with no luck. It consistently reads 80-110 bpm the whole time. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I knew this was going to be an issue. I know that wearing a chest strap is the most accurate, but I don't like to have to wear it for all of my work outs and my old Fenix was totally fine as well as my apple watch before that. Any suggestions? 

• Interesting that you are seeing it as well. My watch was working fine until we got to the new version of the Sensor software and 4.0 of the watch software. I can't find any common pattern beyond if I use Broadcast HR mode or I have other devices like a footpod broadcasting ANT to my watch the HR is really off. 

• Disclaimer: I don't have the Fenix 6 but the OHR on the FR945 is the same and I've tried on the Fenix 6S Pro a couple of times for a few minutes and saw that it didn't perform better than the 945.

I started to doubt the OHR sensor on the 945 immediately, after about an hour of wearing it for the first time. My FR645M never gave me reason to doubt it so I never put it to the test.

I performed a test wearing the watch for a full day (no sport activity) and comparing OHR with HRM-Run. The results proved everything I saw - the watch shows me almost random values during the day. Later I did the same test during a run and the results were very impressive. 

• Ran into exact this Issue on my hike yesterday ... OHR was off about 40 - 100 bpm ... always showed my HR as 80 - 100 ... when in fact I was having 140 - 180 HR ...
    Fenix 6x Saphir, 4.30

• There is definitely a problem with the 6! Ihave a fenix 5 and just upgraded to a 6, and basically the ohr sometimes works and sometimes doesnt.  Its ok at rest but sometimes just wont kick in when on an activity. Today I fast hiked a local steep hill for 35 minutes and it remained at 59 bpm maxing out at about 63! I would estimate I was at least double that. I dont have tattoos and the watch fits exactly the same as the fenix 5 ( and my old forerunner) which both work.  I suspect the pulse ox thingy interfering as the previous models I have didnt have this???

• These reported HR issues have me worried. I currently own a Garmin Instinct and in the next couple of weeks I'm upgrading to the 6 pro. The instinct has never let me down for GPS or HR etc.
    I really don't want drop so much $$ on a watch and have it perform worse than a watch 1/3 of its value.

• I'm very dissapoint F6's OHR problem. I have vivo active3, vivo smart4, FR245(sold), apple watch but only F6 have OHR problem. It only up to 110-120 even if I ride on zone 4-5. I think Garmin release F6 too much earlier. Software not yet ready and I use APAC version which means I have to wait few weeks more If the problem solved in new firmware.

• Most of us turn pulse ox off during the day and have it turned on only for sleeping via setting. Try it for your next workout.

• I still think the 6 is a worthwhile upgrade- the battery settings alone make a big difference to me. I'm going to try turning the pulse ox off and see if that helps, I think it's just a glitch.

• I've tried running OHR with PulseOX on and off.  doesn't seem to make a difference.  it's a basket case regardless.  I don't rely on the watch's OHR for running.  

• I don't rely on OHR for ANY activity. I always use a chest strap.