Anyone STILL having heart rate accuracy issues with their Fenix 6?

Hi all,

Super frustrated, but I am still having issues with my Fenix 6S and heart rate accuracy even with the 4.20 software update. I'm wondering if it's just me or what the deal is? I had a 5S Plus before this and had no issues doing the same activities so I really don't think it's user error. My heart rate hardly reads over 110 during really vigorous exercise when my heart rate is closer to 160+. I have tried wearing on the inside of my wrist, tried my other wrist with no luck. It consistently reads 80-110 bpm the whole time. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I knew this was going to be an issue. I know that wearing a chest strap is the most accurate, but I don't like to have to wear it for all of my work outs and my old Fenix was totally fine as well as my apple watch before that. Any suggestions? 

Parents
  • One more frustrated and already former Garmin user. 

I've been using the watch for 3 weeks, struggling to find the reasons for the poor HR reading in "Cardio" and "Others" activities... HR works fine while running, but as some people already said here, it might be related to the algorithm or the readings.

But that's not HR, there are many bugs and bad UX design, something you wouldn't expect from a respected and niche brand.

Anyway, the frustration I got reading this thread was bigger than the frustration i got form the poor readings... It's absolutely nonsense the way Garmin is dealing with this problem and its customers. It is a FACT that the older versions and watches the WHR worked, even if not perfectly. In F6, WHR simple doesn't work as branded.

And there's this philipshambrook here - Garmin is spending their budget in this guy to entertain we all here, instead of hiring programmers to solve the many issues we have.

Absolutely unacceptable for a product within this price range.   

• One more frustrated and already former Garmin user. 

I've been using the watch for 3 weeks, struggling to find the reasons for the poor HR reading in "Cardio" and "Others" activities... HR works fine while running, but as some people already said here, it might be related to the algorithm or the readings.

But that's not HR, there are many bugs and bad UX design, something you wouldn't expect from a respected and niche brand.

Anyway, the frustration I got reading this thread was bigger than the frustration i got form the poor readings... It's absolutely nonsense the way Garmin is dealing with this problem and its customers. It is a FACT that the older versions and watches the WHR worked, even if not perfectly. In F6, WHR simple doesn't work as branded.

And there's this philipshambrook here - Garmin is spending their budget in this guy to entertain we all here, instead of hiring programmers to solve the many issues we have.

Absolutely unacceptable for a product within this price range.   

Children
  • It is a FACT that the older versions and watches the WHR worked, even if not perfectly.

But surely this is the same argument you're putting forward here?  WHR either works accurately and reliably or it's not working

as branded

What degree of imperfection are you prepared to accept? Am I missing something? Are you suggesting that despite not working perfectly that WHR was still acceptable for you with older watches?

It most certainly 

is a FACT that the older versions and watches the WHR worked,

Because it did work so it is indeed a fact. It just did not work very well. I was one of those decrying the accuracy and reliability of WHR on the 935 when I first got one. If you think it's bad on the F6 spend some time reviewing some of the posts about WHR shortly after the 935 and possibly the other watches around that era with early versions of wrist heart rate. Here's some to start with:

There's nothing new being said here that hasn't already been said since Garmin started putting optical heart rate on watches. However, IMVHO, it has got better and works for more people more often but optical heart rate monitoring will never work for everybody every time.  

As people keep repeatedly saying, there's no point having WHR if it doesn't work perfectly (irrespective of the degree of imperfection). That's why I usually wear a strap if I want to be certain of accurate and reliable results during activities, which strangely enough is what Garmin and Polar recommend too. And I am comfortable that 24/7 works well enough for me not to have any concerns about it's accuracy and reliability.

YMMV in which case contact Garmin Support and help them make it work better for you.

PS

I don't work for Garmin. I'm actually unemployed while I finish my PhD thesis. Yay! Two weeks to submission