Anyone STILL having heart rate accuracy issues with their Fenix 6?

Hi all,

Super frustrated, but I am still having issues with my Fenix 6S and heart rate accuracy even with the 4.20 software update. I'm wondering if it's just me or what the deal is? I had a 5S Plus before this and had no issues doing the same activities so I really don't think it's user error. My heart rate hardly reads over 110 during really vigorous exercise when my heart rate is closer to 160+. I have tried wearing on the inside of my wrist, tried my other wrist with no luck. It consistently reads 80-110 bpm the whole time. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I knew this was going to be an issue. I know that wearing a chest strap is the most accurate, but I don't like to have to wear it for all of my work outs and my old Fenix was totally fine as well as my apple watch before that. Any suggestions? 

• I'm not so sure. One would expect a tolerance of +- 10%. 30-40% Deviation is just bad data, no matter what industry u r in! Right? Is is wrong to ask that something you pay $800 plus for accurately does what it advertises?

• Read this thread...and any of the other threads about wrist heart rate. Follow the repeated links to Garmin, Polar et al that discuss the limits of heart rate technology and read them. Take particular note of the discussions in those links about wrist heart rate during 'active' activities in general and specific activities that require flexion of the wrists under load - eg climbing.

Then buy a chest strap.

Or return your watch.

• It works for mountain biking outside. It doesn't work for road biking inside. It's broken. Please stop contributing to the noise where we're trying to fix it. 

• You obviously chose to ignore my post from two days ago comparing WHR and strap while riding indoors on my road bike. Here's the image to save you the time of scrolling through a few posts. Note that the big drop is from the chest strap.

Please stop ignoring posts where people demonstrate that it does work.

I'm happy accepting that for some people WHR just will not work. Whether that's a defective device or some other problem I have no idea, which is why Garmin Support need to be informed.

However, you and others need to accept that for some of us it works. Maybe not all the time, and that's why I'll still wear a strap most of the time when running or cycling because I am aware of the limitations of the technology. But more importantly, I accept them.

PS

Love the way you vote up your own post :-)

• I’m frustrated with the Garmin war as much as anyone, and I don’t agree with Phil, because my Apple Watch works phenomenal.  I purchased a tactix, but it will not be my fitness watch.  I’ll still strap on the Apple Watch for my workouts.  Until Garmin fixes their algorithms or sensor issues, the tactix will be for looks, not monitoring my health.

• Without a y-axis those graphs aren't helpful. You can't tell how high all those bumps are, and you surely don't remember in retrospect if they made sense at the time or not, do you?

• I agreed with you.. The problem in OHR is never goes up over 130 in high intensive workout.

• What’s the line on the left with numbers and a label that says ‘Heart Rate (bpm)? And yes the results are real and indicative of the effort. I may be old but I’m not suffering from Alzheimer’s. The HR peaks and troughs fit with the workload. Look at the Strava link as that will show you the intervals. The graphs are overlaid in DCR analyser. It’s simple. The wrist heart rate tracked the chest strap closely arguably better than  the chest strap. It was the chest strap that had the big drop not the WHR,

Is there a reason why you appear unwilling to accept positive results that do not align with your view of the world? So here’s a poor outcome that should fit with your world view.

This is from an open water swim comparing WHR with data from an HRM-Tri and shows how the data is displayed when there is a difference. The purple is the wrist heart rate which has never been good in the swim for me. I usually find the WHR in the swim tracks the strap but about 10 beats higher. However, the sea is currently around 14C which Would explain the high start - cold water, reduced blood flow difficult to read. When The HR did come back you can see it tracked close but lower. This Is different to previous swims possibly because Garmin are working to improve WHR but it’s also hard to get past simple physiology in the first instance, and the limitations of the technology in the second instance.