Anyone STILL having heart rate accuracy issues with their Fenix 6?

Hi all,

Super frustrated, but I am still having issues with my Fenix 6S and heart rate accuracy even with the 4.20 software update. I'm wondering if it's just me or what the deal is? I had a 5S Plus before this and had no issues doing the same activities so I really don't think it's user error. My heart rate hardly reads over 110 during really vigorous exercise when my heart rate is closer to 160+. I have tried wearing on the inside of my wrist, tried my other wrist with no luck. It consistently reads 80-110 bpm the whole time. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I knew this was going to be an issue. I know that wearing a chest strap is the most accurate, but I don't like to have to wear it for all of my work outs and my old Fenix was totally fine as well as my apple watch before that. Any suggestions? 

• This is true of my watch too. Working well in activities but not on broadcast. 

• By my watch's current readings, i apparently have a resting HR around 110 which I know it not accurate. I've seen it monitor my HR inaccurately the last few workouts I've done as well and I'm not sure what's going. Would just like my watch to work and quickly load my activities to my connect app. 

• Mine is same issue, reads way lower during an activity. It is fine for resting and when not in activity. This is first garmin, I'm sorry but if watches half the price read perfectly fine its not acceptable. 

• Yup, same problem here. Heart rate seems to measure fine when resting (~50) or during intense workouts, like running (~195). Hiking up a mountain just fluctuates around 75bpm, when my pulse it’s actually around 150-180. Software V4.3

• Apparently, Garmin is now admitting that there is a functional problem with the v.3 Elevates sensor that renders it much less accurate than the earlier sensor found on the 935 and Fenix 5 series when being used for activities that may cause a lot of wrist flexion or other movement. As posted in the Forerunner 945 forums, a large groups of xc skiers were reporting problems with accuracy with the OHR maxing out at a much lower HR than should be registered. Garmin’s advice is what is reflected in the majority of posts here, namely use a chest strap for heart rate in vigorous activities. 

Disappointing, as I had ordered a 945 on black Monday deals, but it will be going back now that I stumbled across this post. If I still need a strap for any semblance of a useful HR metric, there is no reason for me to upgrade from my Polar M400. All of the other features are fluff for me. 

• Apparently, Garmin is now admitting that there is a functional problem with the v.3 Elevates sensor that renders it much less accurate than the earlier sensor found on the 935 and Fenix 5 series when being used for activities that may cause a lot of wrist flexion or other movement.

Where has Garmin posted an official statement indicating that there is a hardware defect with the HR sensors in recent devices?

• Here is the forum I have referenced. To be clear, I have NOT seen any official Garmin announcement, but this thread seems on point given the consistency in complaints over the new v.3 sensor being less accurate than the previous version for such activities.

forums.garmin.com/.../sw-or-hw-fail-with-latest-garmin-ohr---cross-country-skiing

I am seriously considering the Fenix 5 or Forerunner 935 now as I would like a wrist based sensor for my non-cycling workouts and do not need EXACT HRM readings, but do need it to be somewhat usable. I really like the Garmin UI approach to exercise data.

• Here is the forum I have referenced.

I see nothing that leads me to believe Garmin has admitted there is a functional problem with the v3 Elevate sensor. I wouldn't make my purchase decisions based on complaints in a forum, but you do you. I'm sticking with my Fenix 6.

• Stay with polar if you need ohr. I had a polar M600 then a f5 and a fr645 now a f6 none of the Garmin ohr are comparable with M600 ohr during intense sport activities. Now I paired a polar oh1 and a f6 and I have a good set up for intense sport without a chest strap

• I might just try that. I have been using the Scosche OHR strap with the Garmin for my bike and it seems that there is no easy way to go all OHR on any device for rough sports. The only problem with the Scoshe is the fact that O have had it slip many times when skate skiing and mountain biking. No real need to replace the old M400 other than I have liked some of the training features on the Garmin bike computer.