Anyone STILL having heart rate accuracy issues with their Fenix 6?

Hi all,

Super frustrated, but I am still having issues with my Fenix 6S and heart rate accuracy even with the 4.20 software update. I'm wondering if it's just me or what the deal is? I had a 5S Plus before this and had no issues doing the same activities so I really don't think it's user error. My heart rate hardly reads over 110 during really vigorous exercise when my heart rate is closer to 160+. I have tried wearing on the inside of my wrist, tried my other wrist with no luck. It consistently reads 80-110 bpm the whole time. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I knew this was going to be an issue. I know that wearing a chest strap is the most accurate, but I don't like to have to wear it for all of my work outs and my old Fenix was totally fine as well as my apple watch before that. Any suggestions? 

• Is there a workaround to this problem. I just got my Fenix 6 two days ago and have already run into this problem. Considering returning the watch as there is no point in 24x7 heart rate if it isn't correct.

• Hi. None. But to be very honest, there is no point in having HR readings all the time. They can be a good point in the workout time to understand better how you're working out and how to get even better. But what's the point on having this info while laying in the sofa? Or while eating? Or in the office? I think there is no real point in that. It's a starting gimmick but after a while you'll not bet bothered about it anymore.

• Not really. When you're training quite a Lot it is really good Indikator if you are currently overtraining. one example of data you can get from your resting heart rate

• I’ve found that having “Broadcast Heart Rate” and “Broadcast During Activity” on during an activity as was recommended in this thread seems to work for me recently. Seems odd, but it’s worked the last several times I’ve worked out. Problem is it really drains the battery and you must turn them off after the activity to conserve battery. Wearing the watch higher on my arm and extra snug seem to help too. Mine seems to work fine at other times. I wear it pretty much 24/7 because of a heart condition and need to monitor average HR. 

• I wear it pretty much 24/7 because of a heart condition and need to monitor average HR. 

If this is a heart condition, I would do better monitoring with a medical instrument.

• The problem is the algorithm. For this, to keep power usage low, it will do math and assumptions instead of real measurements. None of the spikes like going from sofa to toilet will get the real increase in HR, maybe. Or if you're lucky to get in the sampling time. Otherwise, you get constant but not all the time true HR from Garmin or random readings from AW. Is either which lie you want to accept.

And I am sure, the overtraining will be seen on an average trend while resting. The issue most are blaming is that the reaction in reading while state is changing is not fine outside activity. 

• The problem is the algorithm.

No, the problem is that these watches behave differently on the same person. My f6x does not go over 110 whr. Even when I was at 190. My txD has no problems with it.

to keep power usage low

with FW 3.10 it wasn't a problem with my f6x, 24/7 whr was good and also able to register high HR. The next update made it trash. But the battery life did NOT improve.

• The main thing is for this price you except a decent reading, especially when cheap Chinese bands behave better. I returned my 6S and got a 245. surprisingly, it behaves a lot better using the same hardware. If it does not, i am not too upset as it was only $220.

• Hi alpine_99 

Solution return it and buy different brand. Wish I had but was suckered into believing Garmin were working on an update that would rectify the solution - 14 months on and nothing. 

That or buy a Garmin chest strap.

My personal belief is this is a weight issue with the watch. Garmin suggest moving the watch further up the arm, where I suspect you have a "firmer" fit and less movement with watch during activity but I have skinny arms and makes little difference to me.

• I think this is the same issue that many are reporting 245 working better. Lighter, will move less so the readings will be more consistent. 

I have to be honest and say that after first 2 months of fighting with mine, I started to use mine higher in the wrist where it sits better and snugger. Readings are consistent on average.

Sometimes it misses in activity HR and it takes a very long while to be on the right spot, especially when I do MTB and the bouncing on the wrist is more pronounced and also the variability in intensity is huge. I fell like my guts will blow out (and a strap will easily show 180-188NPM) and F6Pro will show maybe 120-135BPM which was the low/resting HR before that section.