Wrist and sizing advice

Hi!

Current 735xt owner, looking to move to either 945 or a Fenix 6 of some description.  I'm wondering what I can 'get away with' though in terms of my wrist size, which is 16cm.  I've attached some photos to help show this.  

It's hard finding anywhere local to me which stocks the 945 or Fenix 6, but will keep hunting!

• I have 160 mm wirst. I found F6S too small for my wrist. F6 regular size fits perfect. 

• 160 mm wrist as well.
    Fenix 5 was OK but a bit too large... Fenix 5S was OK too but a bit too small.
    I find Fenix 6 perfect for my wrist since the lug distance was reduced a bit ! I love it.

• It's all going to come down to personal preference as to whether or not a 47mm watch is too big or uncomfortable, and wrist circumference is only part of the equation. The width of your wrist matters as well, and from the looks of it the 735xt is edge to edge even though it's the smallest watch of the ones you are considering. It also has the smallest lugs of the three.

The 735xt has a 44.5mm case and is 11.9mm thick. The 945 has a 47mm case and is 13.7mm thick, while the Fenix 6 has a 47mm case and is 14.7mm thick. The Fenix 6 is a big jump in size and weight from the 735xt. It would be best to try one on if possible. I'm not sure where you are, but REI will allow test fitting watches before purchase, assuming they have one of course.

Are you particularly determined to get a watch that matches the 945 or Fenix 6 capabilities? If not, have you considered the Instinct? It's an amazing watch that does most of what these others do in a package that is 45mm by 15.3mm.

• On my F6 (titanium) box, it says 46 mm in diameter... 

• I have a 16.5cm wrist, so similar to yours, and my Fenix 6S fits me perfectly. In fact, the ends of the lugs sit roughly where my two wrist bones are. I once owned a 935 but always thought it looked too big on me.

Personally, I would not get a 945 or a Fenix 6 as they will look over-sized on your wrist. Stick to the 42mm case size. Also, the Fenix 6 is 24 grams heavier than the 6S - which is already a bit of a lump compared to your 735xt. You are getting no more in the way of functionality or features other than increased battery life. So, if you are a runner, you should take the weight into serious consideration - not just how the watch looks.

• The 6S looks more balanced to me but since I don't have to live with my opinion of your arm, my opinion shouldn't matter. What do you think looks better?

• I’m struggling with the same decision with 170 mm wrists. I like the lighter weight of the 6S but even at my not huge wrist size, I feel like I’m pushing the length of the strap (I wish it was just a bit longer). Also, the design and 20mm strap make it look a bit feminine for my tastes.

• I’m pushing the length of the strap (I wish it was just a bit longer). Also, the design and 20mm strap make it look a bit feminine for my tastes.

I agree the strap could be longer but I’m used to it now. It just means the band is closer to the buckle. I really wish Garmin offered different length straps since the 6S is a unisex watch aimed at runners who like a light watch  (in the black and silver variants it looks just as “masculine” as the unisex 645, which has a normal length strap). But you might be ok.

To be honest the 20mm strap width is standard for the 42mm watches, including 735, 630, 645, 245. It’s proportionate to the case size.