This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FENIX 6 Body temperature still affects temp reading ?

Hi body temp affects fenix 5 temp reading is this (bug) fixed on Fenix 6? 

yes i bought garmin sensor and have to w8 1min and connect the sensor every time i want to see temperature.

• It's not a bug.  There's a statement in the manual that indicates if you need an accurate temperature, then you either need to remove the watch from your wrist for  about 20 minutes, or use the Tempe sensor.

• Yes, it's not a bug, it's just the way it is when you have a temperature sensor attached to your body. It is impossible to accurately measure ambient temperature when the sensor is attached to something that's 98.6F degrees. The only thing they can do is offset the temperature to try to account for your body heat, but the offset is just an estimate and will never be 100% accurate. It's not a Garmin-specific issue, it's just a downside to having a temp sensor in a watch.

Even a $5,000 laboratory-calibrated high-tech thermometer that's accurate to within 1/10,000th of a degree would be wrong if it was attached to your wrist all day.

Honestly I think it's sort of silly that watch manufacturers even include a temp sensor at all, if I were Garmin I think I'd have opted to exclude a temp sensor, rather than include one and have to explain that the readings aren't reliable.

• The temperature sensor is needed for the barometer, presenting it as ‘temperature’ is where they go wrong. They should stick to using it internally, but I guess that every sensor counts in the sales dept. is where things go wrong. 

• It is useful when swimming. I know then why I'm shivering :-)

• " Honestly I think it's sort of silly that watch manufacturers even include a temp sensor at all, if I were Garmin I think I'd have opted to exclude a temp sensor, rather than include one and have to explain that the readings aren't reliable. " 

For me instant air temperature reading its a must have...(and not the temperature from a remote station placed somewere...)

At the top of watch the body temperature it is not affected.

For me its an engineering bug :) 

• Very useful when swimming but also in outdoor environments, just take off your watch and leave it for about 20 minutes

• At the top of watch the body temperature it is not affected.

For me its an engineering bug :) 

If you wear the watch, your body will always affect temperature readings, no matter where is the sensor placed... Exact temperature reading is not so easy as you think, for correct reading just buy a tempe sensor, but also with tempe you can have altered values if not properly shielded... 

• I've often wondered why they don't just use GPS coordinates in combination with weather data to give a much better approximation of the current temperature where you are.  While it won't be perfect, it's can't not be better than the values I get during a run which are basically useful for "it's above freezing" during the summer and "It's below boiling" during the winter. 

• The main purpose of the internal temp sensor on our watches is to determine the air temperature AT THE PRESSURE SENSOR.  In order to accurately calculate Elevation from Barometric Pressure, it is necessary to know the temperature of the air AT THE PRESSURE SENSOR.  You can play with the formula here: Altitude From Atmospheric Pressure Calculator

I guess, with a "something is better than nothing" attitude, manufacturers of watches with onboard pressure sensors have made the measurements of the onboard temp sensor available to the user.  The displayed temp values, however, are only of some relative value - they do not accurately reflect ambient temperatures unless removed from the wrist and allowed to equilibrate to ambient.  This has resulted in much confusion among the watch owning community.

If you need/want accurate temps while wearing your watch, the best option is the Garmin Tempe sensor.  Otherwise, just learn to live with the inaccuracy of the onboard temp sensor.  Good news for swimmers is the internal temp sensor values more accurately reflect water temps than air temps.

HTH

• Your big toe does the same thing and you have two of them Slight smile