This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FENIX 6 Body temperature still affects temp reading ?

Hi body temp affects fenix 5 temp reading is this (bug) fixed on Fenix 6? 

yes i bought garmin sensor and have to w8 1min and connect the sensor every time i want to see temperature.

• While wearing it „over the jacket“ (e.g.skiing or hiking in the winter) as well as swimming or when I use it on my bicycle mount the readings are good, I’m happy there’s a sensor for that. On the wrist, of course, useless. 

• On the wrist, of course, useless. 

If the internal temp sensor didn't work on the wrist as it does, your Altimeter and Barometer would be useless when your watch is worn on the wrist.

See my explanation above.

HTH

• I had a watch with a temperature sensor in 1990, and it was *far* more accurate than the sensor in the Fenix 5/6.

• Maybe check out eBay and see if you can buy another one of those to replace your Fenix with.

This thread is ridiculous. It's like, "So, I see the Fenix STILL doesn't have a TV remote built into it. Such trash. I even had an old Casio watch back in the 90's that did a better job of turning my TV on and off."

Clearly you haven't paid any attention to what people are saying in this thread. The temperature sensor is not designed for, nor meant to, display an accurate reading of the ambient temperature! It never will, because that's not what it's meant for!

The temperature sensor is ONLY there because it's a requirement for accurate barometer/altimeter readings - and for that, it's important that it measure the temperature of the watch itself, NOT the ambient air. Sure, they could apply some arbitrary body temperature "offset" in a feeble attempt to estimate the ambient air temperature, but it won't work well. It will work terribly most of the time, but it would probably be closer to your "watch that had a temperature sensor in the 90's" that also played that guessing game to estimate the ambient temperature.

Spend the $25 and get a Tempe sensor if you need accurate ambient air temperature readings. It's not hard. Quit whining about the temperature sensor in the watch measuring what you perceive to be the "wrong" temperature.

• If it's not meant to be used for indicating the ambient temperature when worn, then it should not be displayed to the user as being the temperature when it's worn. As is, Garmin includes its temperature readings in my activity reports even when I wear the watch...so when it posts my ski trip on Strava, it says that it was 70F. If the internal temperature sensor is not meant to be used in that way, then they should not include the temperature in activity reports (unless it's also detected that the watch has been off the wrist for suggested amount of time--which it should be able to determine).

• Hey, because of your complaints Garmin now removed temperature graph and native widget. It is possible to use Temperature only with the Tempe sensor.

Disappointed

Luckily, they still allow access to internal sensor for CIQ apps. So my app works.

Temperature widget

• Hey, because of your complaints Garmin now removed temperature graph and native widget. It is possible to use Temperature only with the Tempe sensor.

What are you talking about?  The native Temp widget with graph is still very much available:

Sreenshot of my fenix 6x Pro with latest Beta software 8.75.

The native Temp widget hasn't gone anywhere.

HTH

• I really dont care if the temperature is used for the barometer and altimeter or to measure the sweat of the underwear, when giving about 800€ for a watch I would like it to have a temperature air sensor and not be dependent on accessories. And come up with arguments that it is not possible, the body temperature affects etc ... it is totally irrelevant to me. From that point of view the man never had reached the moon.

• I'm not complaining, I'm just highlighting an issue. 

Weighing the pros and cons I bought the watch anyway.

• I paid $200 for the Nest thermostat in my hallway, should I be upset that it doesn't tell me what the temperature of my wrist is?

Your complaint is, with all due respect, rather silly. You want it to measure the temperature of a place where the temperature sensor isn't located. You want it to tell you what the temperature of the air away from your body heat is, with a sensor that isn't in the air and is attached to your body.

Just because you want something doesn't mean it's possible to do.

As I've pointed out bazillions of times already, a simple temperature offset isn't going to work. It will nearly always be off by up to +/- 20 degrees F. There's nothing that can be done to make it more accurate, other than just buying the $25 Tempe sensor and putting it in a place where you want to read the temperature accurately from.

It's $25, man. You probably earned that much in the time you've spent complaining about it.