Two Sapphire Fenix 6 Pro’s, backlight / contrast issues

I bought two fenix 6’s today, both are the Carbon grey DLC coated with sapphire glass.

Have a look at these photos, my wife's is on the left hand side and mine the right. Her looks very yellow compared to mine which looks far crisper and sharper. Both have backlight set to 50%. 

Any thoughts on if there’s a setting other than backlight that could cause this before I go back to the shop where I bought them?

• I was able to try out several watches at the dealer. There are very big differences. Some watches invert the colors from a certain angle. Then white turns black. And black turns white.

• I've had a Forerunner 645M since they were launched and have been very happy with it, running 5-8km most days. When the Fenix 6 was released last year I bought one as I wanted the new metrics, but I ended up having to return it due to a screen defect (oily type smudge under the glass). I decided to then stay with my Forerunner 645M and wait to see if a Forerunner 655 would be released or for the Fenix 6 firmware to stabilize. 

On Saturday May 9th I ordered a Fenix 6 Titanium Sapphire from Garmin.com. It arrived this afternoon Tuesday May 12. You can see the comparison below of my 645M at the top (blueish screen) and my Fenix 6 which I am happy to say looks black. Both have their backlights on in the photo and the image has not been manipulated. Serial No of F6 Titanium Sapphire is: 63N23xxxx 

The blueish screen of the Forerunner 645M never really bothered me and I didn't really consider how blue it was until I took the comparison photo with the Fenix 6.

• besides the screen, anyone have the button problem?

mine F6 Pro have click button issue on start and back, sigh

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Leong Sem

Yes .

After i changed my 6x pro for a 6x pro sapphire and got a good screen, the buttons on the right hand side went mushy. 

So sent it back and, because the 6x pro (not sapphire) was on offer I bought that again.

However it has the blue screen and poor viewing angle unfortunately.  SN 43526 (wonder if the 6x sapphires are fixed but not the 6x pro's?)

Anyway the Tactix Charlie has a really good offer so I went down that route.

Much as i love the 6 series there are just too many problems. Plus I dont really need music or pay as I always take my phone, just maps for round route running.

Think i will wait for the 7....

• When do you think a 7, or 6 upgrade can be expected?
    i don't have any watch and i would like to buy something until summer. and I am lost in what to do. I really don't want a blue screen ...

• recent history suggests the life of a fenix model lasts five quarters so in theory towards the end of this year but with the current pandemic who knows

• If you need it for a reason different than black backlight I guess that you will be happy with 6. There is no guarantee that series 7 would be any different regarding this subject. ;)

And, personally speaking - the less I am reading about backlight issue in this thread, the less I am noticing this ‘defect’ in everyday use of my watch. :) 

• That is not the point. The point is Garmin needs to be upfront with the clear deficiency and lack of quality, because it is BAD QUALITY. They further need to adjust price accordingly imo. I know they wont, but customers can force them to do so by not supporting the product. 

• exactly. To pay big money, maybe big savings, or pay in installments, it would have wanted the watch to be good, finished completely, and the screen not to have a bad contrast on hand.

• Reply from South Africa Support

"Thank you for contacting Product Support.

The following is the official reply from the team.

The fēnix 6 series has better screens across the product line than available on previous fēnix models (larger and more pixels). Some differences between screens is normal when comparing watches side by side. Even though there is some variability from watch to watch, they all meet our design standards."

Can we get a class action lawsuit going please?