6X not connecting to Wi-fi

I am new to Fenix ownership and loving the watch do far. My only issue is I can not get it to join my home (BT) Wi-fi!

i have tried via Connect, Express and on watch itself. I have tried setting my iPhone as a hotspot and it won’t connect to that either! All I get is ‘Connection failed’.

its a shame as I want to download Spotify playlists and this can only be done via Wi-fi.

Does anyone else struggle?

Thanks!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

hi,

experience the same with 6X PS at the beginning when trying to connect to my home WiFi. as you said I tried directly from the watch, using connect app.

for sure the MAC address was correctly added (to the router white list) and the password was ok.

I left the issue for later troubleshooting.

I do not know what changed, maybe in the meantime the 3.0 upgrade came, I'm not sure.

but after a couple of hours started to work, without changing anything else...and work since without issues.

could have been the 3.0 upgrade.

what software is running on yours?

just me,

robert

• I am having the same issue with connecting to my home wifi.  It will connect eventually after many retries, but it is time consuming and frustrating.  Overall I like the watch, but Garmin needs to fix this issue.  Last night I wanted to update some playlists and after about 30 minutes of trying to connect to my home wifi with sporadic success I turned my Pixel into an access point and connected the 6X to that on the first try and got my playlists updated.  The connection speed was slower, but at least it worked.

• I received my 6x Sapphire yesterday and I'm having the same issues connecting to my home wifi. I've tried a couple different networks multiple times to no avail.

• I am wondering if any of your WiFi networks are hidden? I was unable to connect to my home WiFI network that has a hidden SSID. But I turned on the hotspot on my phone - the hotspot SSID is public and the 6x was able to connect to it fine.

• With BT, do you have their hub?

The reason I ask is because by default it has an annoying landing page that gets shown when any new device connects to your WiFi. Kind of a welcome page that has details of setting up safe surfing. It’s annoying. 

You can turn this ‘feature’ off in settings on the hub. But if it’s enabled it can cause problems for WiFi devices such as watches and other devices where you don’t browse the internet and it just uses the WiFi to send the data. The reason is because the watch can not handle the initial landing page and you can’t see it displayed to the watch and can’t click the close button, so it always appears and blocks the WiFi, waiting for you to click continue. 

Try disabling the initial landing page and see if WiFi then works. 

• Thanks, any idea how to do that??

• I’ve disabled the smart set-up which seems to have helped...

• Yeah, I am having issues.  I am coming from a fenix 5 that connected to my wifi flawlessly.

Here is my set-up:

Apple airport express

• 2.4Ghz (802.11/n)
    • Automatic Channel
    • Public SSID
    • WPA2 Personal Security

What I have tried:

• Hard reset
    • Set-up via Garmin Connect app
    • On-board set-up
    • Set-up via Garmin Express
    • Even tried the hotspot connection from my phone
    • Changing my wifi router password

What I am experiencing:

1. I can successfully connect to the wireless network using the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone in the wireless set-up
    2. When I go to add a Spotify playlist on my watch, it "Can't find known network"
    3. (I can see that the network is in Garmin Connect on my phone)
    4. On Garmin Connect, I press "Forget Network" and kill the app
    5. I soft reset my watch and let it power cycle.
    6. I open the app again on my phone and try and add the same network
    7. When I go to add a Spotify playlist on my watch, it states "Incorrect Password"
    8. On the watch, I update the password (painful) and it once again states "Incorrect Password"

I HAVE THE CORRECT PASSWORD and I can't tell you how many times and in different places I have typed the bloody thing!

In the end, I had to create an OPEN wifi access point on my network to get this to work.  Garmin, please update your firmware.