Fenix 6X Sapphire - faulty OHR or software bug?

Hi!

I have bought Fenix 6X Sapphire on release day and after week of usage I am finding some strange OHR behaviour.

Previously I have owned Fenix 5 Performer and then Fenix 5X Plus Sapphire and found both OHR sensors reliable for my training (run and bike) and usual activities tracking.

It is a bit different story with Fenix 6X. For most of the time it seems to give fine readings: 55-something LHR during sleep, then 60-70 when resting, 70-110 when walking. When I have put it on the test during treadmill running I have got readings of 100-130, while it should give 150-160 (confirmed with treadmill HR sensor). Tried to move watch on my wrist, then switch the wrists, etc, but without resolving the problem - reading was always too low. Then I deactivated and then reactivated OHR in settings which resulted in another out-of-scale readings of 70-90 until end of training (should be 150-160).

I have read about OHR and PulseOx issues with F945 and decided to switch off PulseOx in my Fenix 6X and give some testing (not run training for the moment, just normal walks). To my surprise, on my last walk OHR started to give more funny readings: 140-170 during normal walk. Switched off the thing and restarted it and then it has started to show more proper readings of 80-90.

I am bit puzzled at the moment. I presume this is more of software bug and not faulty OHR sensor and I should wait for firmware update, but anyways: does someone has recoginized similar behaviour? Should I contact dealer and ask for replacement? Otherwise I am more than happy with F6X, especially with (finally!) snappy GPS when moving between building and trees.

Cheers!

• In the meantime, my suggestion is that if you know you are going to be active beyond your normal daily routine, record it as an activity. If you want reliable, accurate heart rate data during an activity, use a chest strap. If you have to sprint for a bus or run up a couple of flights of stairs accept you might lose a few calories but in the scheme of things that loss is going

Yep, i completely agree. you have to pick your poison. I returned my 6S because ohr accuracy was important for me 24/7. I'll stick with polar at this point. they have 9 LEDs. It does not have all the features the garmin has and first beat metrics are second to none. I am just a recreational athlete so counting floors and other stuff are just the cherry on top of the ice cream. i can live without it. I'll keep watching the forum. Usually, garmin gets a good and stable firmware a year after the initial release. (with their thousands of beta tester :) )

• How many calories are not calculated if the heart rate is not recorded correctly during the day depends on various factors. for example the job you are doing or how well you are trained. For example, this is what a normal day ( a rather less demanding working day) looks like for me without doing a workout. If the whole heart rate above 100 is not recorded, some calories are lost that are not calculated.

• Indeed, most of the metrics are not going to be valid if ohr is not reliable. But they do have a disclaimer that it is not a medical device and is mainly a toy :)  Same with all the other company except philips and apple i think. It looks like the new withings may also be ohr accurate but it only samples every 5 mn in non activity. real time only when you do an activity. 

• Here is what I found - Spikes are often and seem to be picking up my stride rate - I have shaved a spot on my arm and am wearing the watch much tighter.  See image - shows pace and HR -with OHR and other view with HR Strap.  Also has comparison between the two HR lines.  I also included my Strava splits - relatively steady pace with much higher HR average in the last few splits from the OHR.  

• 1)  Garmin says : „ sensing functions continue to operate ceaselessly and with unstinting precision all through the day.

2) It worked with the delivery of the watch. Not after update.

• what kind of activity profile was that?

• This is what i got from support a while back:

Thank you for E-mailing in. When the watch enters an activity, it is picking up a cadence based on that activity. That cadence optimizes the HR readings of the watch. Outside of the activity, the watch is not looking for that cadence of the activity to optimize the readings. That is most likely the reason it is more accurate during the activity than when you are not in the activity. What you are seeing with the differences in the readings when you are not inside the activity, that is somewhat to be expected.

However, if you start to see large differences in HR readings during the elliptical activity or other activities you may use with the watch, please contact us again and we can investigate the issue.

• Would you have referred to the ticket that Garmin has with The Engineers. The low HR problem is known at Garmin.

• yes, i had referred to the ticket # i think you posted.