Fenix 6X Sapphire - faulty OHR or software bug?

Hi!

I have bought Fenix 6X Sapphire on release day and after week of usage I am finding some strange OHR behaviour.

Previously I have owned Fenix 5 Performer and then Fenix 5X Plus Sapphire and found both OHR sensors reliable for my training (run and bike) and usual activities tracking.

It is a bit different story with Fenix 6X. For most of the time it seems to give fine readings: 55-something LHR during sleep, then 60-70 when resting, 70-110 when walking. When I have put it on the test during treadmill running I have got readings of 100-130, while it should give 150-160 (confirmed with treadmill HR sensor). Tried to move watch on my wrist, then switch the wrists, etc, but without resolving the problem - reading was always too low. Then I deactivated and then reactivated OHR in settings which resulted in another out-of-scale readings of 70-90 until end of training (should be 150-160).

I have read about OHR and PulseOx issues with F945 and decided to switch off PulseOx in my Fenix 6X and give some testing (not run training for the moment, just normal walks). To my surprise, on my last walk OHR started to give more funny readings: 140-170 during normal walk. Switched off the thing and restarted it and then it has started to show more proper readings of 80-90.

I am bit puzzled at the moment. I presume this is more of software bug and not faulty OHR sensor and I should wait for firmware update, but anyways: does someone has recoginized similar behaviour? Should I contact dealer and ask for replacement? Otherwise I am more than happy with F6X, especially with (finally!) snappy GPS when moving between building and trees.

Cheers!

• Oct manufactured fenix 6x sapphire replaced with dec manufacture,  hr is much improved and responsive. Both same fw version. That being said, it's still not perfect in ant scenarios. 

• Same problem here, this watch is shocking F6X Sapphire, same issues...plus Sleep record, Body battery and stress are all way off or all over the place.

• The Fenix displays the mean HR over the past 2 minutes when not in an activity
    he Fenix is averaging the heart rate over a period of 1 or 2 minutes when not in an activity.

Your theory is wrong. Because if I turn on the clock when I have been at pulse 160 for 20 minutes, according to your theory, you should quickly see the correct value. But you don't. 110 to 160 over 10 minutes. You have to come up with a new theory.

• I don't ignore, I just make decisions based upon data

Then bring us your data. Or show us where Garmin explains your 2 minute theory.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

16 hours test

Apple watch 4  on right hand calories

fenix 6x sapphire on left hand calories   normal

• Where can I send a fit file for garmin to check for wrong OHR values?

• I will chime in for the first time regarding OHR.  Just reading this topic I wanted to see for myself how my watch responds.  Firstly, during activity I always felt that the 6x was giving far more accurate HR than the 5x.  Today I watched the HR widget outside of an activity and it seemed high.  As pointed out before, I simply started an activity and the HR dropped by 30 to 40 bmp instantly to a value much more believable.  So there may be something Garmin can fix.  Clearly it seems like they can get it right (or close enough) during an activity.  I can understand that maybe they take less samples or whatever they can to save battery outside of an activity.  However, I think what they need to do is NOT use less samples or such thing outside of an activity but rather calculate HR outside of an activity the SAME way with the SAME amount of samples as during an activity but DO IT LESS OFTEN.  So maybe outside of activity they perform the HR calculation the exact same way as during an activity but now they only do it once a minute.  This way, perhaps we get less real time updates but at least the data is correct not adversely affecting stress, body battery, etc.

• I had the same problems I tried a lot of firmware updates since months without success. I also received RMA Fenix but also the replacement device had the same issues. I returned now my Fenix 6 and got my money back. You/we are not alone, a lot of people have the same issues and Garmin ignore these reports.

I think it´s not only a simple firmware issue. I think they are not able to handle the WHR technology and try to silently ignore these problems. I switched back to Apple Watch 5 because the WHR/GPS/Compass is working perfectly. Only the battery power is a small ....

• The same with my Fenix sapphire 6!!!

"Abnormal high heart rate detected" (error messadge) with a REALLY 65 bpm!!!

Cheers!!!