This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation consistently inaccurate (reading too low)

I'm having issues with the Instinct reading lower elevation than it should, which results in considerably lower elevation gains than what you should be seeing. One might be tempted to blame this on sweat, poor weather conditions and what not, but that's actually not the case. I'm noticing this on a very short ride (roughly 11km). Start and finish elevation are typically within 5m of each other (which is IMHO fairly accurate). I've had three different devices prior to this one (cycling computers)

After looking more closely at the graphs, I've noticed that the Instinct just plain out ignores certain elevation gains, and instead chooses to think I'm riding a flat profile. It does so very consistently and given that the starting and ending point read the same elevation, I'm inclined to believe this is a sofware issue. Naturally, the watch mode is set to altimeter. 

So my question is whether this is a known issue and whether I can expect a fix. Difference of 40m in 11km is pretty big in my opinion. 

• I tried in aircraft. I calibrated in aircraft(sitting at window seat) and found the right elevation. However, the same was not getting sustained for a longer duration. Further,  when I sychonised with explore, found, an acceptable result with the graph.,  Looks the elevation issue been attended, however, we need to share our findings with different  experiments to enable the developers have adequate data.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 1075614

I think that testing in aircrast is NOT good test. Air pressure in aircraft is keeping similar to air pressure at ground. You should have watch outside of the aircraft to get good altimeter results.

• Agree. Actually very funny

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Former Member
    That's great advice and hopefully Garmin will get this fixed.  But just a heads up, it doesn't matter if 10, 20 or 50 people email support, they'll all be told that they are the only one who has reported the issue.

yes, looks you are right. check what they write to me

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/instinct/192658/if-you-have-any-problem-then-contact-garmin-support

anyway, I think it is important that we will write them

• Are you continuing to see good elevation measurements back on 3.20?  As I recall,  it seemed to be more accurate on the early releases, but I also had far fewer data points on 2.6 - 3.2. 

I'm on 5.1 now, and the results are somewhat acceptable when I wear a sweatband in front of the sensor.  The more varied the terrain, the more the Instinct under-counts (even with sweat control). 

• I'd like to try this - did you archive the 3.2 firmware yourself or is it available somewhere? Google isn't leading me straight to it so far

• I no longer have the Instinct but I know of a number of people who are interested in it. And in retrospect it was a great watch and elevation issues was the only reason I got rid of it.
    I encourage everyone who's dealing with this to contact support. 

• I got a replacement sent out by Garmin its on 5.50 firmware I have yet to go out and test the elevation. 

• I did a little experience with my watch because of the barometer. When I'm not hiking I use the watch in barometer mode but I have noticed on the graph the barometer data always shifting very strangely. So on the pictures you can see the graph on my watch when it was on my wrist, on the table and again on my wrist. You can see there is a big drop in pressure when the watch was on the table and again big rise as soon as I put on my wrist. The pressure straight away rised when I put my watch on my wrist, it is not possible such a big pressure change. I was just inside in living room and watching movies not moving . I'm not surprised when the altimeter is always out of accuracy.