This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No GPS Signal

Hey all. I recently got the new Garmin S62 and notice that it takes FOREVER like 10-20mins IF that) to pick up a GPS signal. Not sure if any new owners are having the same issue. I also on the Garman fenix 5x plus. I put both watches side-by-side and the 5X would pick up the GPS signal in seconds. Anyone having the same issue?

• I played my first round today with my new s62. Had the the s60 previously. The s62 didn't pickup GPS correctly until the last 4 holes. I had tried rebooting my watch and starting and ending the round a few times but the front 9 and just gave up. Then it just started working all of a sudden on hole 14. Pretty bummed about this. Never had this issue with S60. This needs to fixed.

• What is the latest software version? My watch says it's on 2.10

• i just installed garmin express and connected my s62 and t said my s62 had the most recent update.

• Taking 30 minutes? There is definitely something wrong, although most likely software rather than hardware.  I'd contact Garmin Chris as he posted.  Another thing to check is if you have the file Garmin\RemoteSW\CPE.BIN on your device.  This is downloaded regularly by connecting to GC and gives information about the satellite locations.  If you are syncing with GC, and you don't have this file on the S62, this would be another thing to mention to Garmin Chris.

• Hello,

Used the s62 for the first time today and nothing but problems. The satellite was acquired at a normal pace put then would only display the yardages over on the hole and would not adjust as I moved or tell me what my shot distance was even though it would display 0 up top like it recognized that I had swung. Went into settings and did the factory reset 2 times and finally got it to start adjusting yardages but nothing even close to accurate. I would have to manually change the hole I was on and after doing so would but me 30 yards off the green when I was 220 out. I had my z80 luckily to compare what the s62 was saying and nothing was within 50 yards of being correct when it was actually trying to work. Everything was up to date before i went out and just double checked again once I got home. Very disappointing in this $500 watch when my s60 has worked so well. On another note trying to use the 1-18 on the edge to change holes was also garbage meaning it would almost always do nothing or want to go into the manual shot placement in relation to hazards. Would love some answers on this thing. Thanks to all   

• I had the same exact problem today and it’s my first time to use my s62 and been a two year user of the s60. All software been updated before I used it and gave up rebooting after the 2nd hole. I will call support tomorrow but I hope this will be fixed asap but hopefully they have answers posted here soon too. 

• so i did some testing of the s62 after my round yesterday.

while at my buddy's house for a super bowl party, i had my watch start a search for nearby golf courses. after about 30 seconds and no activity from the search, i opened the garmin golf app on my phone and then like 3 seconds later it showed nearby courses.

this morning at work in our parking lot i searched nearby golf courses again and after about 10 seconds of no activity, i opened up the garmin golf app and then a couple seconds later it showed nearby golf courses. 

its almost like the s62 needs the garmin golf app opened to find nearby courses.

although in my round yesterday where the gps didnt work for the first 3 hours of my round, the watch did find nearby courses but it just couldnt track me while i was on the course. 

• Wanted to give an update as I've been seeing issues to others in this thread.  My first round the watch appeared to connect to gps but the numbers never updated during the round.  I came home and contacted support.  They had me check that I had the latest software which I did (2.1) and (2.70) for gps.  I then did a complete factory reset of the watch with the latest software installed and reconnected to the garmin express app.  My second round the watch started functioning like my S60 did.

That being said there are still a lot of issues with the S62.  My round did not show up as an activity in Garmin connect like it used to with my S60.  I used to be able to see all the stats of the round including a GPS map, distance, calories burned etc as if I'd used the app on a walk.  I liked seeing how many miles I walked during the round and with the added heart rate monitor I was wanting to see calories burned as I would expect more accurate results over the S60.

In addition, I can't seem to install or configure IQ watch faces on Garmin connect.  At this time it only seems to work through garmin express on my PC.

• To avoid satellite acquisition issues with your new Approach S62, please do the following:

1) Update your courses and firmware software using Garmin Express on your computer. If you do not have a computer available, you can use the Golf APP on your smartphone to update the firmware software.

2) When you first acquire satellites to pull up your nearby courses, you can do so outside where you live without going to your normal course. It may take up to 20 minutes the first time you acquire satellites. Doing this at your home is to avoid the acquisition process possibly taking up to 20 minutes when you do go play a round of golf. After that first acquisition at home, back out and try a second time. The speed of the satellite acquisition process should now be normal.

Please note: traveling long distances will require your watch to find the new positions and orbits of the GPS satellites so it will take up to 20 minutes again at that new location, the first time.

• Hello All,

Wanted to give an update on my issues with this watch. After running the process of a factory reset and reconnecting to express/golf/connect I tried running a round of golf (I live on a course) and it connected and automatically tracked me to the 12th hole where live. I then took it out yesterday to try again and it seemed to work much better. I brought my s60 with for comparison this time and the s60 was much quicker at getting the accurate reading and when the s62 would finally settle it would most of the time be 7-10 yards longer than the s60 but sometimes almost spot on with the s60. Not sure why this would be. Is there a different gps system used in the s62? I had read somewhere that it takes time to "learn". Im going to take it down to Palm Springs and try it a couple more times while comparing it to the s60 and see if it improve.