Complete
over 4 years ago

makeWebRequest stopped working on Vivoactive 3 firmware 7.00

On Vivoactive 3 firmware 7.00, data-driven watch faces almost never update.

The issue has been observed with the weather functionality in bine8x8's watch faces, xDrip+/Spike Watchface, NightscoutWatch, etc.

Based on developer reports, it sounds like the requests are made but the callback is almost never called. On my device, the issue has been present for 2 days, and of the last ~600 polls I only noticed 1 callback, at a random time somewhere in the middle.

I downgraded to firmware 6.90 and that fixed the issue (until the Connect app forced the upgrade again).

Web requests are still working on widgets.

Most of the discussion so far has been in this thread: https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/f/discussion/207021/after-updating-fw-va3-to-7-00-makewebrequest-stopped-working

• Hello, I second this as a developer of Weathergraph watchface - the makeWebRequest is called (I can see the request in server logs), but onReceive just isn't called (I have a log() on a first line of onReceive). This started with VA3 7.00 update.

• i haven't tried blocking the download but i have downgraded to a version that appears to let me fill up the watch's storage and stay downgraded. VA3M firmware 3.80, i've been on it for over a day without an upgrade yet (i tried the same on VA3M firmware 4.90 and it was able to upgrade me despite my filling the storage up, twice.)

• Has somebody found the URL from where the firmware is downloaded? I run pihole on my own server and my phone connects with VPN through this server, allowing me to block whatever URIs from working. Would make sense to block this to prevent automatic updates.

7.0 introduced the same bug to my Vivoactive 3.

And anybody from Garmin product/dev team reading this. Thank you for ruining a type 1 diabetics day for not being able to monitor his glucose quickly from the watch anymore. I hope you push the update to fix this ASAP or I want my money back. No excuses!

• I was able to downgrade briefly to firmware 6.90 via the GUPDATE.GCD method, and since that fixed my watch face, I'm confident firmware 7.00 is the cause. I find it frustrating that this bad firmware is still being pushed every couple of hours and Garmin has chosen not to allow me to stop it, especially since watch faces have been broken by updates twice in the last 6 months.

• no response here from Garmin all day is telling. they essentially bricked all VA3 and VA3M's that use internet watchfaces, since at least Saturday and there is no recourse for the user because their firmware is not user downgradeable. yet not a peep in either thread yet.