After updating FW VA3 to 7.00 makeWebRequest stopped working

It seems that after updating FW VA3 to 7.00 makeWebRequest stopped working. Several VA3 FW 7.00 users informed me that they had stopped updating the weather information.

• Is it the makeWebRequest stopped working or are you getting an error on the request?  Can you tell if the background is running when it should?  Is there anything common as far as GCM, such as Android vs iOS?

• Is this for Watch Faces? I'm assuming that's the case given you are getting weather info, although I have full apps that also get weather info.  Have you tried seeing if it works from a different type of CIQ app?

• I am wondering if this is caused by the delay/background task not firing, rather than the network call failing. "xDrip+/Spike Watchface" and "NightscoutWatch" are going many hours/days between network polls. In the past when those network calls failed, errors were displayed, but that isn't happening. Also widgets are still able to perform network requests just fine, so it seems to me like these routines just aren't starting.

Successful fault isolation/workaround: I have just downgraded to firmware 6.90 (which I found in the 6.94 Beta zip file) and the watch faces started working again. Note: firmware downgrades cause a factory reset, requiring you to pair again and re-apply your settings.

• I did some testing with 7.00 today, and what I found was things worked for a bit (see the beginning of the following log), but the watch face restarted, the background was firing as it should, the request was made, but the callback wasn't happening. (it broke between 5:18 and 5:19.

getServiceDelegate 5:13
    onTemporalEvent 
    do request 
    got response 200
    onBackgroundData=good! 5:13
    getServiceDelegate 5:18
    onTemporalEvent 
    do request 
    got response 200
    onBackgroundData=good! 5:18
    getInitialView 5:19
    getServiceDelegate 5:23
    onTemporalEvent 
    do request 
    getServiceDelegate 5:28
    onTemporalEvent 
    do request 

By the way, I was using the latest GCM for Andriod.

• Ah, makes sense. Glad to hear you're closing in on it. We really love seeing blood sugar trends at a glance in the diabetes community.

• Update: this workaround is not useful because the app just forced me back onto 7.00 almost immediately. Is this kind of design really necessary?

• Yes, you'll keep getting the update each time you move to older FW with a va3.

• I have this problem too. After calling makeWebRequest, the callback method doesn't called. More correctly, the callback is sometimes called. In rare cases. Maybe 5%. Dependence is not clear. Firmware 6.94 worked correctly.

• in the past i have been able to keep it at an older firmware by filling up the storage space on the device. i tried this again in the last few days due to this issue, but the watch now seems to figure out how to free up some space. not sure if its a new fix by garmin, i may just have to go to older firmware to avoid it (i can go back to va3m 3.80 which is what i was able to keep downgraded to last).