Under Review
over 1 year ago

bug with HAS or inline SYMBOL on venusq and maybe other devices

One venuSQ user reported that the battery stopped working. After few tests I have found that there is a bug with HAS or SYMBOLS.

This code 4.2.4/win10/eclipse on sim/venusq:

var

Symbol_getBB = :getBodyBatteryHistory;

lg("getInitialView :getBB1=" + :getBodyBatteryHistory + " hasBB=" + (Toybox.SensorHistory has :getBodyBatteryHistory));

lg("getInitialView :getBB2=" + Symbol_getBB + " hasBB=" + (Toybox.SensorHistory has Symbol_getBB));

shows

getInitialView :getBB1=symbol (8391839) hasBB=false

getInitialView :getBB2=symbol (8391839) hasBB=true

so I don't try to read BB to not allow to exception and show no data.

on f7 (on my real device there is no problem):

getInitialView :getBB1=symbol (8391839) hasBB=true

getInitialView :getBB2=symbol (8391839) hasBB=true

Parents
  • Very interesting analysis, thanks. I had always assumed that the compiler's api level option did nothing since the UI was removed in VS Code, but now I know better.

On the other hand, optimizing it to true (when the symbol is guaranteed to be there at the minimum api level) should be fine.

This goes back to my favorite complaint about the concept of minimum API level itself: it doesn't really work with the System X scheme. For example, System 6 is 3.4 / 4.2 (for CIQ 3 devices and CIQ 4 devices, respectively) so it isn't possible to select a min API level which includes System 6 devices and only System 6 devices.

Comment
  • Very interesting analysis, thanks. I had always assumed that the compiler's api level option did nothing since the UI was removed in VS Code, but now I know better.

On the other hand, optimizing it to true (when the symbol is guaranteed to be there at the minimum api level) should be fine.

This goes back to my favorite complaint about the concept of minimum API level itself: it doesn't really work with the System X scheme. For example, System 6 is 3.4 / 4.2 (for CIQ 3 devices and CIQ 4 devices, respectively) so it isn't possible to select a min API level which includes System 6 devices and only System 6 devices.

Children
  • I had always assumed that the compiler's api level option did nothing since the UI was removed in VS Code

I had assumed that the minApiLevel manifest setting was equivalent to the command line option - but from my testing that's not the case.

For example, System 6 is 3.4 / 4.2 (for CIQ 3 devices and CIQ 4 devices, respectively) so it isn't possible to select a min API level which includes System 6 devices and only System 6 devices

That doesn't sound good. In fact, looking at api.mir, it does seem that the presence/absence of api entries (ie methods and classes) is predicated on "minSdk" - which seems to be an api level, rather than an actual sdk version, as far as I can tell. Does that mean that features aren't associated with system 6 per se? Looking through api.mir, there are a bunch of things with minSdk=4.2.0, and a few things with minSdk=3.4.0. Does that mean the things marked 3.4.0 work with 4.1.0 (ie they don't require system 6), while the 4.2.0 features only work on CIQ 4 devices with system 6?