Lap+ data field

Lap+ is a single run datafield with a difference — it's made for runners who need all their lap data in a single app.

If you ever wanted...

• 6 customizable fields with any combo of lap/activity metrics you could imagine (over 100 combos)
  • (Optional) Auto splits (by time or distance) separate from your manual laps, with alerts and metrics for your splits
  • † To review *all* your laps during a workout

...Lap+ has you covered.

If you ever wondered why you can't see your Last Lap Max HR, or wished that your VA3 had custom lap alert data, Lap+ is for you. Want to see all your laps in a list, with any metrics you can think of, such as lap time, total time, lap pace or average activity pace? Lap+ can do that.

As someone who's run more intervals than I can count, I wanted a datafield I would actually look at while I'm resting between hard laps, so I made one. Hopefully you'll find this somewhat useful as well.

Download Lap+ from the Connect IQ store:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/77c83bb1-925e-4323-a2ab-e97269c3cdb9

3 additional clones are available here, so you can use 2 Lap+ pages at once, or have 4 different configurations:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/db7a382e-fdf4-4fe7-b6db-0e5591be418e

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/b3c4d41a-bc6c-44d8-8b22-c81f162204b5

apps.garmin.com/.../3a8c2ebc-2c1b-445c-8465-b543a54f3a3d

† = Not available for older devices: D2 Bravo [Titanium], Fenix 3, FR230, 235, 630, 920XT, Vivoactive

---

If you need the lap viewer for an older device or just without the 6 fields, Lap Viewer is available as a standalone datafield:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/14e5c6b5-c9e8-44f9-a1ff-28a44148c170

• Hadn't checked out this section of the forums for a while as I've been pretty happy with my FR935 setup but it's annoyed me a few times when doing short repeats on the track and somehow lost count that I couldn't check how many laps I'd done exactly ! This DF (or the Lap Viewer) would take care of the problem it seems.

Also the fact that you can now have both manual and auto laps is nice since you didn't get auto-laps when you were warming up or had to turn off the feature when arriving on the track. I'm just concerned they might interfere a bit when doing 1k repeats and I also need to check how it affects the viewing of laps as only manual laps would normally be of interest on the track.

Will install it and report back with any comments/suggestions. In the meantime let me say thanks for offering that DF !
  • webvan no worries. To be clear, on CIQ2 watches like 935 the lap viewer is built into Lap+, so you can have 6 data fields and review your laps with a single app/CIQ slot. To be fair, the UX for activating the lap viewer is a little clunky (you can either have it open when you’re paused / moving slowly or when you press UP/DOWN quickly). But I use it on my runs so I can nerd out at red lights and review my laps, without sacrificing a whole CIQ slot just for a lap viewer.

Auto splits won’t / can’t write anything to your FIT file if that’s what you’re worried about. If you have auto split alerts enabled, then they will continue for your whole activity which you might find annoying. You can always dismiss them early by scrolling away from the field and scrolling back.

But hopefully the auto splits feature is what people were looking for when they said “I wish Garmin had separate auto laps and manual laps, like my old Suunto (or whatever).” I find it pretty interesting that there were a number of requests for this exact feature over the last few years, but none of the posters have posted in this thread or reviewed the app, apparently. It would be a shame if they didn’t get a chance to try the app, but I have no idea if the ppl who actually wanted this feature even know about Lap+ tbh.

If anyone who did want this feature for a long time is now using Lap+ and is happy with it, I wouldn’t mind a review in the store. Seeing as all my apps are free, my primary motivation for making them is to provide Garmin users with useful apps that are different from most of the stuff in the store. But if nobody actually needs these apps, then there’s less of a motivation. And even if you’re not happy with it, I wouldn’t mind some feedback. Although if there’s a bug or something else that can be changed, I’d prefer if you contact me first before leaving a review.
  • webvan oh I just realized what you meant about "viewing laps". In the lap viewer settings, you can choose to view either (Garmin) laps or (Lap+) splits, so I think you're good there.
  • Thanks for the additional clarification. And yes it's too bad more people don't take the time to say thank you or comment, I suppose looking at the "Views Statistics" can you give you a sense of interest in the DF. As for the "Split" requests, maybe you could change the title to "Lap+ data field (with auto-split feature and Lap Viewer)" so that people looking for that could be directly made aware of it ?
    It's great that you were able to combine both Lap+ and Lap Viewer as the 2 CIQ DFs limit is really annoying.

So I experimented at my desk and Lap+ is going to be great for the way I use my FR935. I used to have two 4 "Lap" screens, one showing "Lap Time" (+pace, lap pace and HR) for the track and one showing "Lap Distance" (+pace, lap pace and HR) for intervals on the road, now I can have just one and gain one more field in the process and I've set that to "Lap HR".

About the included "Lap Viewer"::
    - the hotkey : both up/down and down/up seem to do the same thing ? Would there be a way to use them for different features ? Like up/down to go into the viewer and scroll manually and down/up to go back to Lap+ ?
    - As it is, it seems the only way to see "older" (5+ or 6+) laps is to enable either auto-scroll or choose the "viewer+scroll" hotkey option ?
    - the Lap+ DF is also part of the scrolling which surprised me but I suppose that's to stay aware of your current lap if you're reviewing while running ? In my case I'd probably want to review the laps quickly without cycling through that screen and then go back to Lap+.

Anyway great work, thanks again !
  • webvan Hey, thanks for the advice. I don't think a longer title helps, as:
    - People don't like to read things
    - Titles longer than about 2-3 letters are cut off in desktop mode >_>

Believe I'm not whining or anything, I just legit don't know if the people who wanted that feature have it now. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.postimg.cc\/135rjJ9X\/shruggie.png"}[/IMG2]
    To address your questions:
    - Yes, both "hotkeys" do the same thing. The secret here is that it's not really a hotkey, it's just hiding/showing the data field real quick. That's due to Garmin limitations of having no user interaction for data fields

So unfortunately, they can only do one thing. :/

- Yes, the only way to see older laps is either auto-scroll or viewer+scroll hotkey. Viewer+scroll is intentionally not the default, because if you have lots of laps, it could be annoying to scroll through them. (The escape hatch for this feature is if you want to return to main screen at any time, just scroll away, wait 5 seconds, then scroll back.)

- Yes, the Lap+ DF is part of the scrolling. Originally I designed it so it wasn't, but then I realized people might want to see the 6 fields as well as laps, especially in auto-scroll mode. It also simplifies the options somewhat (but probably not).

In my case I'd probably want to review the laps quickly without cycling through that screen and then go back to Lap+.

Could you clarify this, please? Lap+ is the Lap+ DF.

Let's say you have 10 laps or 2 pages of laps. The way it works now is you scroll through:
    6 fields > Lap Page 1 > Lap Page 2 > 6 fields > ...

What are you proposing exactly? The only other thing I can think of is:
    6 fields > Lap Page 1 > Lap Page 2 > Lap Page 1 > Lap Page 2 > ...

But then there's the additional complexity of "how do I get back to my data fields?"
  • Sorry I hadn't restarted an activity after changing the setting so it was still auto-scrolling. Now that I've done that I can see that it does stay on the first Lap Viewer Screen until you do a Down/Up again using the viewer+scroll hotkey. That's what I was after actually ! Can't wait to give a try on the road tomorrow ;-)
  • webvan no worries. Hope you find it useful.

Note: to save memory, Lap+ doesn't accept settings changes during an activity, so yes you do have to restart the activity. I think a few other data field apps are like this as well.
  • Hi FlowState I just saw all your responses to my message from a few days ago, I didn't receive any notification from the forum software and forgot about it. I'll go and read everything you said now :o
  • Update 2.2
    - Use nicer centred layouts for most round / semiround (e.g. 235) watches, at the expense of much shorter labels.

Now all of the fields can handle a four digit time/pace (e.g. "59:59") without shrinking the font. The middle row can handle 5 digits ("9:59:59") without shrinking the font.
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/services.garmin.com\/appsLibraryBusinessServices_v0\/rest\/apps\/77c83bb1-925e-4323-a2ab-e97269c3cdb9\/screenshots\/aacafbba-90f8-4256-b9cb-954ba7a7b949"}[/IMG2]

Excellent, thanks this is a great change. Also thanks for clone B+. I will try it again soon.
  • PatFelstead no worries. I got the same complaint for another data field app, and TBH, I don't like the original layout either. I run with Lap+ almost every day, and even I think it looks better now.

---

Update 2.5

Fix crash on high heart rate (over max).