Lap+ data field

Lap+ is a single run datafield with a difference — it's made for runners who need all their lap data in a single app.

If you ever wanted...

• 6 customizable fields with any combo of lap/activity metrics you could imagine (over 100 combos)
  • (Optional) Auto splits (by time or distance) separate from your manual laps, with alerts and metrics for your splits
  • † To review *all* your laps during a workout

...Lap+ has you covered.

If you ever wondered why you can't see your Last Lap Max HR, or wished that your VA3 had custom lap alert data, Lap+ is for you. Want to see all your laps in a list, with any metrics you can think of, such as lap time, total time, lap pace or average activity pace? Lap+ can do that.

As someone who's run more intervals than I can count, I wanted a datafield I would actually look at while I'm resting between hard laps, so I made one. Hopefully you'll find this somewhat useful as well.

Download Lap+ from the Connect IQ store:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/77c83bb1-925e-4323-a2ab-e97269c3cdb9

3 additional clones are available here, so you can use 2 Lap+ pages at once, or have 4 different configurations:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/db7a382e-fdf4-4fe7-b6db-0e5591be418e

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/b3c4d41a-bc6c-44d8-8b22-c81f162204b5

apps.garmin.com/.../3a8c2ebc-2c1b-445c-8465-b543a54f3a3d

† = Not available for older devices: D2 Bravo [Titanium], Fenix 3, FR230, 235, 630, 920XT, Vivoactive

---

If you need the lap viewer for an older device or just without the 6 fields, Lap Viewer is available as a standalone datafield:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/14e5c6b5-c9e8-44f9-a1ff-28a44148c170

• Features
    • 6 data fields with any meaningful combination of :
      • Lap, Last Lap, Split, Last Split, or None of the above
      • Average, Minimum, Maximum, or, None of the above
      • Time, Distance, Pace, Speed, Cadence, Power, Heart Rate, HR %Max, HRR%, Calories, Elevation, Ascent, Descent

• * Auto Splits by time or distance — independent from auto and manual laps on your device. I recommend disabling auto laps if you use auto splits
    • † * Alerts for your laps and/or splits with 3 customizable fields
    • † * Lap history viewer with 1-3 customizable columns, plus lap number
      • * Automatically opens when paused/you're moving slowly, or with a special hotkey
      • Shows your laps or auto splits
      • Shows all laps, or just even/odd laps
      • * Scroll through all your laps using autoscroll or hotkey: press Down, then Up, quickly
      • Column titles can be hidden so you can see more laps
      • 3 font sizes so you can choose between readability and seeing more laps; up to 7-8 rows, depending on device

* = Optional
    † = Available for all devices except: D2 Bravo (Titanium), Fenix 3 (HR), FR230, 235, 630, 920XT, Vivoactive

Q & A
    Please see the store page for information on to how install Lap+ and other answers to most of your questions.
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/7...e97269c3cdb9#0
  • More Q & A

Q: Why did my background colour change from white to black (or vice versa)?
    A: You have Auto Open, Auto Scroll, or both enabled.

When the Lap Viewer "opens" automatically (when paused or moving slowly), the background colour changes. If the Lap Viewer is scrolling automatically, the background colour will also change.

Auto Scrolling will scroll through:
    - The main page with 6 data fields
    - Your lap/split list ("Lap Viewer")

Q: How do I stop the auto scrolling?
    A: The auto scrolling happens when the lap viewer is "open".

If Auto Open is enabled and you are paused/moving slowly, start the activity and start running, to close the viewer.

If you opened the Lap Viewer using the Hotkey (press Down, then Up), use the Hotkey again to close the viewer.

Q: Why is the Lap Viewer Hotkey/Auto Open/Auto Scroll so awkward?
    A: Unfortunately, Connect IQ data fields (on watches) are not allowed to directly receive user interaction, so the two options for opening the Lap Viewer and scrolling the laps are to use an unintuitive hotkey (press Down, then Up quickly) or to do it automatically when you're moving slowly or paused.

This was pretty much the only way I could include a lap history viewer in the app, and the only way to allow you to see all your laps. If it's too awkward, hopefully Lap+ is still useful without the lap viewer - you can view your Last Lap Max HR without downloading a dedicated data field that only shows Last Lap Max HR, for example.

I'm open to any suggestions on how this could be improved, or even feedback on whether any of the somewhat confusing features should be removed.

Lap+ Change History

• 2.12 Fix lap viewer display for Enduro, Descent Mk2, and Darth Vader
    • 2.11 Fix lap viewer display for Vivoactive 4/4S, Fenix 6 (all), 745, Venu and other watches

• 2.10 Support Venu, Venu Sq, Enduro and D2 Air

• 2.9 Fix blank lap/split screen on Fenix 6/6X and VA4

• 2.8.1 Fix lap viewer crash introduced in 2.8
    • 2.8 Support new devices, including Fenix 6 (all) and Vivoactive 4/4S
      - All watches except Epix, D2 Air and Venu are now supported

• 2.7 Add support for 245, 245 Music, 945 and MARQ watches
    • 2.6.2 Add "Force Backlight On" option for CIQ2+ devices (VAHR, 735XT and newer)

• 2.5 Fix crash on coloring high HR (over max)
    • 2.4.1 Draw data field lines with double thickness, to closer match Garmin look and feel
    • 2.2 Most round / semiround (235) watches: Use nicer centred layout at the expense of shorter labels
      Now all of the fields can handle a four digit time (e.g. "59:59") without shrinking the font. The middle row can handle 5 digits ("9:59:59") without shrinking the font.
    • 2.1, 2.0 All watches: add optional HR/CAD colors
    • 1.5 Fix rare crash on bad settings
    • 1.4.13 Fenix 3, D2 Bravo: Use bigger fonts for data fields
    • 1.4.9 Lap Viewer: Use bigger fonts for "large" text. (Still shrinks to fit with 3 columns/big numbers)
      Fix issue where lap/total time short by 1s
    • 1.4.3 Cosmetic fix for lap viewer with 3 columns
    • 1.4 Fix avg/lap pace
    • 1.3.17 Use larger fonts in fields for VA3
      Fix fonts for VA3, Approach S60
      Improve readability (bold fonts, larger numbers
    • 1.3.12 735XT, VAHR - Lap Viewer: remove banners to show more laps
    • 1.2.7 Display HRR% and HR%Max as numbers from 0 to 100, instead of 0 to 1.
    • 1.2.6 Big improvement to appearance of Lap Viewer when there's 3 columns and/or big numbers. Columns are spaced equally and content is all the same font size (as large as possible with the content width and number of rows, while keeping enough space between columns so it’s readable). Lap numbers moved to the left and displayed in small font so there’s more room for content.
    • 1.2.3 Optimize app for size
    • 1.2 Fix crash when setting Auto Split by Distance using Garmin Connect on Android.
    • 1.1.12 Initial release

Lap Viewer Change History

• 1.5 Support new devices, including Fenix 6 (all) and Vivoactive 4/4S
      - All watches except Epix, D2 Air and Venu are now supported
    • 1.4 • Add support for 245, 245 Music, 945 and MARQ watches

• 1.3 • Display %HRR and HR %Max as percentages (e.g. "50") instead of ratios (e.g. "0.50")

• 1.2 • Fix bug where all columns had the same title

• 1.1.2 • Fix crash introduced in 1.1

• 1.1 • Add ability to have auto scroll when moving. See new setting: "Auto Scroll Type"

• For old touchscreen watches (e.g. 630, Vivoactive, VAHR), change hotkey threshold to 5 seconds, instead of the normal 2 seconds. Hopefully the hotkey works now.

• Save memory

• 1.0.11 • Fix bug where time for 1st lap was always 0

• 1.0.8 • Use bigger fonts for "large" text size. (Text will still shrink to fit with 3 columns/big numbers)

• Fix problem where lap time/total time was often 1 second short

• Hello,

only an IQ screen will be displayed on my vivoactive3Music.
    SW-Version: 3.30
    Connect-IQ: 3.0.3

But Datafield looks promising ;-)
  • w8rabbit :( Sorry it isn't working for you.

That doesn't happen in the simulator or my 935 watch. Have you changed any of the settings? Would you be willing to connect your watch to a PC with the USB cable and to PM me the contents of \Garmin\apps\logs\ciq_log.yml? If you're on Mac you would need this app: https://www.android.com/filetransfer/
  • Update 1.2

Fix crash when setting Auto Split by Distance using Garmin Connect on Android.

Thanks, w8rabbit !

---

Added answers to more questions.
  • Update 1.2.6

Big improvement to appearance of Lap Viewer when there's 3 columns and/or big numbers. Columns are spaced equally and content is all the same font size (as large as possible with the content width and number of rows, while keeping enough space between columns so it’s readable). Lap numbers moved to the left and displayed in small font so there’s more room for content.

Display HRR% and HR%Max as numbers from 0 to 100, instead of 0 to 1.
  • Update 1.3
    Optimize data field layout for 230, 235, 630, 735XT, and Vivoactive HR to display bigger numbers.

Here's pics from the simulator, but I can't test it IRL. If you have one of those watches and Lap+ looks funny now, please let me know.

Update 1.3.3
    Display larger numbers on bottom row of data fields for Fenix 5 family, 645 and 935community.garmin.com/.../1428778.png
  • I'm looking forward to trying this data field out, but WOW there are a lot of options to choose from in the menu! :-)
  • Nighthawk700 yeah I wish it were simpler tbh :/. Hope you find it useful!

I'm open to any suggestions for making it simpler. I guess the problem is that it's a little too flexible, what with the 3 dropdowns per data field. It was either that or have a single dropdown with 100+ choices, or just weed out choices that are probably not too useful (minimum cadence?)

But that's the same kind of thinking which dictates that Garmin won't show you your max HR for your last lap.... Ironically, they let you pick any non-lap metric you want for the lap alert screen.

The other problem is that there are too many options to open and scroll the lap viewer, because users can't really directly interact with datafields....

Anyway, if there's anything anyone thinks should be taken out or simplified, I'm all ears!
  • In the interest of transparency, here's the settings. It looks like a lot, but most of this stuff is optional. You really only need to set up your six data fields.

Settings
    † = Not available for CIQ1 devices: D2 Bravo (Titanium), Fenix 3 (HR), FR230, 235, 630, 920XT, Vivoactive
    • Theme Colour †
    • Auto Split: Off (default), By Distance, By Time
    • Auto Split Distance/Time: e.g. one mile or five minutes
    • Data Field 1 [e.g. Last Lap Max HR, Avg Pace, Time, Lap Time, Split Time, etc.]
    • Data Field 6

† [All options below are unavailable for CIQ1]
    • Split Alert: Yes, No
    • Lap Alert: Yes, No
    • Alert Top Field [same choices as data fields, plus Lap/Split Number, or None]
    • Alert Middle Field
    • Alert Bottom Field

• Lap Viewer: Off, Laps, Splits
      • Filter: Show All, Even, Odd
      • Auto Open when paused or moving slowly: Yes, No
      • Auto Scroll: Off, Slow, Medium, Fast
      • Hotkey: Off, Press DOWN/UP once, Press DOWN/UP twice
      • Hotkey Action: Open/Close viewer, Open/Close/Scroll laps
      • Text Size: Small, Medium, Large
      • Show Column Titles: Yes, No
      • Column 1: None, or basically the same choices as data fields
      • Column 2